Poll

Would an illistrated catalogue of seedlings be useful?

Yes - good idea
No - forget it
Maybe
Lets start one!

Is there a catalogue of new seedlings - if not should we start one?

• 7 Replies

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
as a newbie to veg growing, it struck me quite early on, how do I know whats growing in my cells is the seed I planted and not some weed coming up. Waiting was the only thing I could do before I knew for certain.

It would have been (and still would be) helpful to have some well illustrated manual with photos of the various seedlings at say three stages of development to refer to, both to know what you're looking at and that its healthy too.

Does anybody know if a good manual exists, and if not would it be a good idea for this site to introduce a seedling photo gallery? What do you reckon John?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:29 by barney rubble »

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
As a fellow newbie I had the same thought myself about knowing what would be coming up and how I would know! An online 'database' would be awesome!! Maybe with a little note with the pic, eg. 'begin to harden at this stage' etc?

Oliver

as a newbie to veg growing, it struck me quite early on, how do I know whats growing in my cells is the seed I planted and not some weed coming up. Waiting was the only thing I could do before I knew for certain.

It would have been (and still would be) helpful to have some well illustrated manual with photos of the various seedlings at say three stages of development to refer to, both to know what you're looking at and that its healthy too.

Does anybody know if a good manual exists, and if not would it be a good idea for this site to introduce a seedling photo gallery? What do you reckon John?
There are some excellent websites - especially weeds - to refer to, you just have to look - try Bayer for starters:
http://www.bayercropscience.co.uk/content.weedspotter/1036/1040/e-Tools/Weedspotter/Broad-leaved%20weeds.mspx?fn=fullbroad
But basically, is you are growing several cells of something and one thing comes up that doesn't look like the others its probably a weed!  :D Experience will educate you, don't worry, that's the fun of growing. Fumitory is one of the most confusing weeds, it's a prolific self seeder and looks like a carrot/larkspur/love-in-the-mist but if you are using fresh potting compost you are unlikely to have problems
Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

barney rubble

Oh yes - thats a great site Oliver, but.......lots of them look very similar to the veg!!! :D might be a bit further forward on some , but guess its what the veg look like I'd like to see a catalogue for

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
My seed packets all have a picture of the seedling on the back.

Think developing our own resource would be time-consuming, never-ending and many seeds have now been sown and growing away so too late.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Check our information section http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=3301.0

THIS one is useful too.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:55 by Aunt Sally »

Salmo

Type the name of any plant into google images and it will show pictures. e.g type in spinach seedling and there are 38,000 pictures of it to browse through.

barney rubble

thanks Aunt Sally and Salmo - just what I'm looking for - so might as well forget the poll now!
I knew somebody out there would know of a comprehensive one :D

xx
New Catalogue

Started by seedman on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 14:12
by Yorkie
xx
Organic garden catalogue

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 31, 2018, 07:48
by arh
xx
seed companys/catalogue

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 24, 2010, 14:36
by DD.
xx
Just got next years seed catalogue

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 24, 2007, 10:51
by John

Page created in 0.696 seconds with 42 queries.