Worm wee and Tomatoes.

• 6 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Worm wee and Tomatoes.
« on: May 22, 2009, 19:39 »
I have a wormery which produces quite a lot of "worm wee" from the bottom that I'm told is a good general liquid fertilizer. Would it be good for feeding my toms or am I better getting a proper tomato feed?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

themoog

• Experienced Member
Re: Worm wee and Tomatoes.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 20:14 »
I'm not sure whether it was the wee that my worms were producing, but it turned the leaves of my tomato plants yellow (even though I was watering the base). It might have been too much for containers.

My courgettes loved it, on the other hand.
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 22:41 »
the worm wee is called leacheate and is the liquid draining from the rotting veg in your wormary (worms don't wee!) and it is very good for your tomatoes and anything else. It is very concentrated tho so mix about half a cupful in a gallon of water and feed away once a week.

Enjoy yout tomatoes!
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 10:52 »
Thanks all. Will dilute it down and bung it on everything.

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 19:53 »
I know that it's not wee really but it's better than 'womery composter by-product'  :D!

Hmm, not sure why my tomatoes didn't like it. I dilute it sufficiently.

Good luck with the toms!

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 19:35 »
What colour is your worm tea?, We have 2 wormeries and we dont get much liquid from them - we do get compost but not much liquid.

I got in touch with the people who sold me the kit and they suggested that i look after it too well by turning it too much and add too much shredded paper.  I have left the wormeries alone for 2 weeks just literally added fresh stuff on top and yesturday i thought id have a rumage to make sure alls ok and its horrid, smelly very wet and generally a bit yucky.  The liquid is black, whereas before it was almost clear.

The worms all seem ok and there are plenty of them but i dont know if thats ok?

Any ideas?, sorry to jump on your thread but i thought i'd ask to try to get a comparison.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 19:26 »
I am a commited wormary user and make all my compost in them, although I don't use shop-bought wormaries as there are better ways to do it. If it is smelly and black as you describe, then it sounds a bit too wet. These worms are hardy tho and will cope with most conditions but thrive when the detritus is warm and wet (not waterlogged). Incidentally, if you have ants in the wormary then it is too dry. keep adding the shredded paper and cardboard to keep air in the mix, that will help stop it going black n smelly. The liquor is usually a shade of brown, depending on what the worms are eating.

Not sure why you turn the compost - these are litter worms and do their work in the top layer of detritus, leaving compost in the bottom. They work their way up through the layers that you keep adding.

Hope that helps

Aelf

xx
Worm, comfrey and nettle tea with Tomatoes.... no cake though!

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 07:06
by lucywil
xx
is this a nice worm or nasty worm?

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 21:44
by iwantanallotment
xx
Worm tea

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 13:47
by sclarke624
xx
mr + mrs worm.

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 04, 2007, 15:44
by celtbhoy

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 37 queries.