Tomato 'bags'

• 5 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
Tomato 'bags'
« on: May 21, 2009, 22:52 »
Bought 2 of these this year for convenience mainly - just like big potato bags with handles, really deep.  And they're red.  Anyway, the 2 tom plants are loving them (Ive also added gravel on the top to keep moisture in).  Other two plants in big pots (but not as big as the bags) look really lame in comparison.  Available (over priced) from all naff Dobies garden centres.

Just thought Id give a headsup  8)

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
Re: Tomato 'bags'
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 23:57 »
Let us know how they go, I'm just using traditional growbags this year, but I'm never sure how much water goes into the soil and how much just runs off the plastic.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:39 »
If you water via a plant pot or cut off pop bottle partially sunk into the grow bag, it ALL goes in.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Debz

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:11 »
Wombat, I grew my tomatoes in grow bags last year and my mum grew hers in pots (same varieties).  She reckoned mine were better than hers so she too is growing them in grow bags this year.

Oliver

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:28 »
Wombat, I grew my tomatoes in grow bags last year and my mum grew hers in pots (same varieties).  She reckoned mine were better than hers so she too is growing them in grow bags this year.
I have always grown my tomatoes in growbags, but get some of that lawn edging stuff the wide one - 8") to make an extra pot to increase the depth a bit:
• Measure lengths (to make a an 8" diameter circle) and stick each one tog in a circle with parcel tape.
• place the green bottomless pot circle on your growbag, measure an x inside the circle and cut from the points in an x shape.
• Fold back the flaps and fit the circle in the resulting square - a little bit of a fiddle, but fine when its done.
• Then fill up this extra depth 'pot' and plant your tomato in it, leaving about 2" between the top of the plot and the compost
• Add a cane - don't push the cane in too hard, you don't want to puncture the bag :happy:, and put a (benecol, actimel or whatever) pot on the top, or use some string (do whatever you do to support your plants)
• You can also plant Tagetes plants in the circle in front of the tomato - this is supposed to keep it free of whitefly (I never have whitefly, so perhaps it works, but in any event, it looks nice)
• Water every evening into this space. Don't ever let the plant dry out. If you do, and then water heavily to catch up, some varieties of tomatoes will burst/split.
I have also grown tomatoes in pots, but this has never been as successful. Perhaps a HUGE pot would work. But then it would take a growbag's worth of compost for one pot, so use the growbag!
Oliver
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 20:54 by Oliver »
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 19:26 »
Not enough room in our 2 4 tier mini greenhouses for growbags thus the pots.  They honestly look great, so many flower trusses already, and we've had rubbish weather.  You're right though, take loadsa compost.  Still, can just add it to the compost bin for next year.

If you're using these cruddy plastic wee greenhouses, recommend you give these a whirl.

xx
re- using tomato grow bags

Started by brightgirls on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2012, 21:37
by angelavdavis
xx
tomato plants in grow Bags

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 14:17
by Headgardener22
xx
Grow Bags. Tomato Plants

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2017, 21:04
by Growster...
xx
Tomato bags and tomatoes in unrude health

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2007, 10:44
by Annie

Page created in 0.53 seconds with 36 queries.