So behind again.

• 5 Replies

Lardman

So behind again.
« on: May 21, 2009, 22:45 »
I'm so behind again ....  :( 

I've lost yet another tray of sprouts/cabbages/caulis to the slugs & snails - is it worth making a 4th sowing or should I just give up for this year?

MY courgettes don't want to germinate 1 from 15 seeds and theres no sign of my beetroot, snips, BNS or chard either.    Is it worth pre-sprouting the BNS/courgette seeds first?

I'm getting concerned that I'm going to be too late to get a decent crop from things this year.

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
Re: So behind again.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 00:13 »
Maybe time to head to the nursery and get some plants that have been started off for you.  I'd avoid mainstream garden centres, since they charge about as much as you'd pay in Tesco for the grown produce.  Ask around the allotment - someone is bound to know somewhere obscure in the middle of nowhere that only asks for a few pence a plant.  Alternatively, try car boot sales or see if fellow plotholders have any surplus.

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:14 »
Hi
I'm thinking of cheeting and buying some plants too.
I found this nursery that mail order veg plants at a reasonable amount (I think) and have quite a good selection.
Or like Wombat says car boot sales is a good one/
www.janelanenursery.co.uk
 :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:16 by Sharonx »

savbo

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:26 »
and don't forget your fellow allotment holders - ask around or put up a sign if you have to - I got some lovely tomatoes from my friends on the site - and you can repay the kindness next year...

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:28 »
Hi
I'm thinking of cheeting and buying some plants too.
I found this nursery that mail order veg plants at a reasonable amount (I think) and have quite a good selection.
Or like Wombat says car boot sales is a good one/
www.janelanenursery.co.uk
 :)

Just had a look at the site. The prices seem very good, our local independent garden centre charges £10 for 5 lots of plants, these only charge £6.50 for 5 including P&P. I'd say go for it. I'm tempted myself as I've just found someone who is willing to let me have some of their garden to grow veg, it needs a bit of work so I won't be planting for at least a week and I've not got many seedlings on the go as I've filled the raised bed at home and was giving up on finding a garden to use.

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:14 »
Vegetable plants - sold in sixes
£1.35 per pack, any 5 packs for £6.50 - All prices include postage and packing.

Yes I think they are very reasonable especially as includes P&P that's what normally bumps it up and makes it not worth while.  :)

Page created in 0.824 seconds with 37 queries.