Winter and late Stuff

• 11 Replies

MoreWhisky

Winter and late Stuff
« on: May 21, 2009, 08:54 »
My plot is now full and coming along lovely  :D

But yesterday another plot holder said everything looking good and i will be able to get another crop in.

I thought about what he said last night and am a little conused in what he meant  :unsure:

So any hints and tips of what types of things to put in later when space is freed up would be great.

Ive thought of putting my leeks in after my early spuds come out but what else is good to grow late?

Cheers again everyone MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Winter and late Stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 08:56 »
Spring cabbage/caulis.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 08:59 »
 Here are some overwintering veg, and I'm sure that there are some I've missed,some varieties of onions, leeks,caulis, purple sprouting broccolli, also, broad beans and some varieties of peas and garlic can all go in the ground late season to romp away when the ground starts to warm up in spring.

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:18 »
I overwintered some Kale, Chard and beetroot in my raised beds. Along with PS broccoli and some Kohl Rabi.  I did cover them with a poly tunnel for extra protection, but don't think they really needed it.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:43 »
Have a go at Cavello Nero (Tuscan kale). I planted mine in June last year.  It grew slowly and I was able to harvest a few leaves from each plant right up until March this year.  It doesn't take up too much room and it is great in soups or lightly fried with oil, onion & garlic.

http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2008/08/in-praise-of-greens.html

PSB is a massive winner too.
http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2009/03/purple-sprouting-majestey.html

I planted mine about July last year to fill a gap.  It stood around doing nothing but growing and looking like it was half way between a Sprout plant and a cabbage.  It didn't fill me with confidence. Then in February they all just exploded.    We had a massive harvest.  PSB is so tasty steamed.  I was very partial to it with a light oil mustard and vinegar dressing.

Of course both these crops are very expensive in your friendly neighbourhood supermarket which is an added bonus.   Partly I guess because they take so long to grow and take up room from late summer through winter and are still kicking around at the beginning of spring.

I’m not sure what to suggest if you want something a bit more short term.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 14:40 »
Try to identify which crops will be harvested in time to allow you to plant a second crop.

Early potatoes, broad beans, peas, shallots and garlic will all leave space by mid July.

Salad crops, carrots, quick maturing cabbage e.g hispi, overwintering brassicas such as purple sprouting broccoli, spring cauliflowers, spring cabbage. Very early crops of potatoes, broad beans and peas will be in time to plant winter cabbage.

You can cheat and plant brassicas between the rows before a crop has been harvested.

canwickplot

• Biffasblog
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 17:11 »
After I took my onions and garlic out last year I planted oriental salad leaves in their place and got a really good crop. I had very little trouble with pests at that time of year too. Mizuna, mibuna, Chinese cabbage, komatsuna, more rocket etc. I had some fun with Japanese radish (daikon/mooli) though they didn't come out very neat looking. I had one over two feet long though!!

俺、野菜畑大好き!!

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 11:04 »
All this advice has been great im of to buy some PSB today  ;) as im sure my early potatoes wont be long now.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 11:10 »
Another vote for Kale, I have just potted on three varieties, and sowing a fourth next week, also would go for Leeks, Swede, and Spring Cabbage and would also sow something like Cabbage Advantage as Spring Greens but also sow then now for Autumn.

Bob

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 14:59 »
Winter salad leaves like mizuna stand well and are sown about July, and pak choi sown in JUne will see you through to late autumn, especially if you can protect them with a cloche when it gets very cold... oh, and winter radishes can be sown soon too -- the big fat ones  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 18:32 »
We've been growing Cima di rapa - sprouting turnip tops. It's great, we got the seeds from seeds of italy. They do a 45 day but we grew a 60 day variety. You get florets like brocolli and leaves that are tender. We only have tiny plots so have to keep everything moving and growing, can't leave any gaps. Nic.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 19:36 »
Got some seeds free with a mag and they're up  :D

xx
What winter stuff are you folks growing ?

Started by Mell on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post December 08, 2008, 16:16
by Kagganz
xx
Is this about right for over winter or am i too late?

Started by Mc-llotment on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 13:53
by woodburner
xx
to late to sow winter veg ?

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 17:50
by mumofstig
xx
Too late for winter pruning?

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 03:03
by Beekissed

Page created in 0.496 seconds with 37 queries.