strawberries in containers

• 4 Replies

always_mowing

« on: April 03, 2007, 18:50 »
Hi All.

Does anybody have any tips for getting the water to all of the plants in a strawberry planter (you know the type with the little pockets all around)...i heard of put a hose down the middle...but would it be better to puncture it furst with tiny holes....or is there a another more reliable fail-safe way.

it's my first year doing veg n fruits.
Many thanks.
Tom.

Growbag

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 19:42 »
I grew strawberries in a tub (it held 40 plants) a couple of years ago.  It came with a pipe with premade holes at intervals along it's length.  The instructions said to place the pipe down the centre and fill it with gravel.  The pipe stays in place.   However the lower strawberries never did get the amount of water and potash liquid feed that the upper ones  got and the yield was lower as a result.   The yield were lower still for the second year and I reached the conclusion that strawberries are best grown in  the more conventional manner.
From fork to fork

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 19:49 »
just flood em with a hose  :wink:
still alive /............

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 19:57 »
I tried strawbs in containers as yours and never had luck with them. Apparently the plants get so little water and nutrient despite your best efforts, that the pros say to chuck the plants each year and get fresh, hardly the point of growing your own I think. Even hosing it down well was a very regular chore that I didn't need, so I simply switched to ground beds and never looked back. I also tried the 3 layered beds, one on top of another in progressively smaller sizes, and they were a weedy nuisance that dried out far too fast as well.  :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 20:25 »
I tried it a few years ago with strips of capillary matting down the middle fannig out to the edges. Worked alright but never got many strawberries to the table, kids used to ride round it eating them all  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Growing Strawberries in Containers. What to do in Winter?

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 13:25
by operabunny
xx
Veg in containers

Started by digga666 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 12:03
by digga666
xx
PSB in containers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 22:11
by JoshP
xx
Containers

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 15:45
by little sweetpeas

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 35 queries.