New Allotment - Any advice?

• 21 Replies

Dominic

Re: New Allotment - Any advice?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 16:06 »
Hows big is your plot, unimportant, just being nosey :)

Firstly, section your plot, each section should be hand weedable/harvestable in the amount of time you normaly intend to spend there.
I you plan to spend three on hours on saturday, then layout your plot in 3 hour sections, if you plan to spend half an hour on the way home from work each night, then you need half hour sections.

Once you know how big your sections are, clear one, and compost the weeds, move onto the next and so forth
Next time, clear the first again, and the second and so forth.

This way, you'll only clear a section you can keep clear.

I'm pretty sure most BFB fertiliser is fish that are caught and mashed up for fetiliser, rather than cow, but dont know.
At the end of the day, for every 100g of carrots you grow, your taking 240mg of Potassium from the soil, eventualy, your going to have to put that back some how.
How is up to you.

Now, boring lecture aside
PLANT FRUIT SHRUBS
Loads of them, They're ace!
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

compostqueen

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 16:10 »
can't you get a plot then?  the duke must have a bit of spare acreage  :D

blue_cortina

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 16:11 »
Our best advice was to cover up all unused areas - you can't dig and weed it all at once. Those weeds in uncovered areas will grow so fast it will dishearten you. Once the other areas are covered you can concentrate on getting your first area cleaered an planted - once those plants start to grow you find more energy to dig the rest :-) So in summary I'd say - for any areaa plant it or covere it - your first enemy is the weeds !

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 16:44 »
To Compostqueen. The Duke is a really tight beggar and prefers to keep deer and sheep and let us peasants starve..... No plots are like gold dust in our village and my garden is like a handkerchief, though I have tarmac for four cars which I have put loads of black bags on and a drystone walled raised bed which is full of spring cabbages if anyone wants to call for one they are welcome........ 8)
Mad Mark

Natasha _38

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 22:48 »
I live in a flat so don't have a garden that's why I'm so pleased to have been offered an allotment. Am planning to go & make a start this weekend so will take a few pics as i go along to monitor my progress.
Tea making facilities are already in hand as well as a couple of chairs. As well as putting in the hard work I can't wait to be able to sit outside in the evening in the peace & quiet with just the birds twittering away.

growallota

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 23:26 »
I have recently aquired a small very overgrown plot, but the best thing is put down thick plastic sheet called weed or mulch sheet from the garden center for £1.50 m. at least this will keep some part of your plot from overgrown weeds whilst digging over another patch and planting, try beg or borrow more for the rest of your plot, and get few friend to help as well ...specially the first year. There has been times when I've felt like giving up because of back aches  :wacko: but the next day I solder on and the rewards are growing well, I can't wait to eat them.  :D

Growallota :D

Natasha _38

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 09:05 »
Made a start on Sunday with my boyfriend helping out as well. We were there for about 4 hrs & hardly made a dent in it!! I went back yesterday & weeded for another 4 hrs - it looks like about 1/5th is now cleared. There's now 27 bin bags full of weeds.  I did mean to get some plastic sheeting to cover the area that had been dug but forgot. Last night it rained so am now worried that the weeds are going to come back with a vengance!

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
can anyone help with advice on my new allotment please??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 22:26
by mkhenry
xx
New Allotment, need a little advice....

Started by nylonhandle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 16:03
by nylonhandle
xx
New allotment - just a bit of advice.........

Started by Kezbomb30 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 18:03
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.858 seconds with 36 queries.