Nightmare plum tree

• 12 Replies

drizabone

Nightmare plum tree
« on: May 18, 2009, 15:03 »
I have had the lottie for just over a year. One half was a blackberry covered mess the other the same with hidden fruit trees, I concentrated on the open part last year and cleared the rest during the winter. Last year the plum (no idea what variety but yellow fruits) had masses of fruit which ripened then got mouldy and fell off, noticed this year that groups of leaves have withered and died, has anybody got any ideas and am I in for the same disaster.

Trillium

Re: Nightmare plum tree
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 15:12 »
Not sure about the other tree problem but the yellow plums ripen very quickly. When you see them just start to yellow, check them immediately as they could be ready.
As for the withering part, plums are very susceptible to many plant diseases like peach-leaf curl, black knot, fire blight and others. Older trees were not bred to resist the problems, just for flavour. You just might have to pull the lot up and start with fresh, disease resistant varieties which won't sucker all over the place like the old varieties did.

drizabone

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 15:19 »
Thanks Trillium, the tree is fairly old by the look of it and is a disaster area, seems to have an aphid type infestation and the curl you describe if it happens this year I may resort to the chainsaw.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 15:26 »
The chainsaw might be the answer. My mother just took all her old ones down. They produced only every 2nd year....if they decided to produce at all, and they were full of diseases. I'd recommend that you also dig out the old roots which will only sprout again and create a fresh headache. Good luck.

drizabone

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 15:41 »
By the look of it a crop isn't the problem eating any of it is!!!

gillie

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 16:56 »
The rotting fruit could be the work of the plum moth.  You can buy pheromone traps for these, but we did not find them very effective unless backed up by spraying the tree with insecticide one week after you have had a good catch in the trap.

Did you manage to taste the fruit? how large were they?  This could be a very delicious gage, which moths seem to prefer.

I have no idea what casued the withered bits.  I would cut them off.

Cheers,

Gillie

drizabone

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:30 »
About the same size as a victoria maybe a little smaller, only tasted a couple which were'nt quite ripe and were pretty bland.

gillie

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:20 »
Can you see the graft?  I was wondering if this was a rootstock which had got away after the grafted plum had died, but if the fruit are almost Victoria size perhaps not. 

Winter is the best time for grubbing out so I think I would give this tree one more chance supported by some spraying - provided you do not need the land.

Otherwise - chainsaw.

Gillie

drizabone

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 11:05 »
The trunk is at least 6 inches in diameter and it's about 12 foot high, no sign of grafting

drizabone

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 11:12 »
Oooops forgot to ask spray with what?

gillie

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 11:26 »
"spray with what?"

Any insecticide.  The trick is to get the timing right, which is why the pheromone trap is helpful.  However at 12 ft tall it is not going to be easy.

Gillie

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 12:04 »
If you give the tree another chance, hang up bird feeders to attract the tit species who also enjoy the insects.
Also, rub grease around the lower tree trunk, even wrap a grease soaked rag around.  This prevents the male moths getting up to the females for mating.

I have my late Grandfather's cooker/eater apple (a Victoria type), which was moved from his previous orchard in 1937 and still doing well.  The apples are cookers when green, but sweet enough to eat raw once they've turned yellow (whilst still on the tree.) 

I also have his Worcester type apple tree which is at least 59 years old.  It was blown over in the 1987 hurricane, but one of my Sons helped my late Father plant it back in it's bed!!  We do have a few root stock shoots resulting from that time, but as the apples are tasty, I haven't cut that back.

My third apple tree is an Early Victoria, planted by my Father about 50 years ago.  We have had to cut out a lot of rotten branches, but still get lovely green/ then yellow apples......... similar to the fist one.

The latter two have such a heavy crop that we have to prop up the branches each year.

drizabone

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 12:42 »
Bird feeders may be a double edged sword as I believe they attract tree rats aka squirrels and the plums next door neighbour is a cobnut, think the climbing vermin would strip it in minutes. On the subject anybody know where I can get any pruning info for me nut tree.

xx
Plum Tree

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 29, 2012, 19:16
by Eblana
clip
plum tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 12:57
by mumofstig
xx
Plum tree

Started by Gardener and Rabbit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2015, 16:39
by jaydig
xx
plum tree.

Started by percy thrower's cat on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 15:02
by percy thrower's cat

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 36 queries.