keeping the fox at bay

• 13 Replies

craig1981

• Experienced Member
keeping the fox at bay
« on: May 18, 2009, 15:00 »
im trying my best to make my chickens when they arrive in six weeks as safe as possible . We have converted a shed and have a run with 6ft fences on 3 sides and a six foot thick mesh fence on the front . As a roof i have tightly strung netting that so far has kept out the cats that used to poo on our vege patch . Im definately up for using the urine round the run trick and why not use the male hair one too but i was wondering whether these ultrasonic noise emitting devices to deter cats work on foxes too and whether they will effect the chickens .
i havnt seen a fox in my area since ive lived here but then again i havnt had tasty food for them in my yard before and obviously no run is 100% safe but i want to do my best for the chooks . Any ideas no matter how crazy they seem will be useful .

poultrygeist

Re: keeping the fox at bay
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 15:11 »
Hi craig. :)

Have a read of this http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25998.0 which should tell you all you need to know.

There is a Foxwatch sonic device that is tuned specifically for foxes (surprisingly! ::)) and our own Aunt Sally swears by hers. :)

Rob 8)

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 15:25 »
thanks rob . may seem daft but do foxes hunt in the day . i know they normally hunt at night but they my change habits if the chickens are out . thanks

BarnBrian

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 16:05 »
Does anyone know if there's a sonic deterrent that won't effect dogs.

Brian
There's more to life than increasing its speed.

Debz

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 16:32 »
Yes Craig, foxes will hunt during the day as well as they are opportunistic.  I have seen several foxes during the day in the area I live and it's a built up environment.  Not sure how well your netting would keep the foxes out as they can climb and bite through chicken wire.  I believe that welded mesh is the best deterrent.

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 18:31 »
Hi I need something that will keep dogs at bay, my tibetan terrier has already killed one chicken within a week of getting the girls, and I am worried she now has a taste for them. 

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 18:51 »
Hi alisonwo.

You need to make sure that either your dog is under control or that your chickens are in an area your dog can't enter. Either keep them in a run or behind an electric fence or make sure your dog is not out when or where they are. If it can't be trusted with them, then it's your responsibility to keep them both safe.

Rob 8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 20:06 »
Dogs are not affected by the FoxWatch ultrasonic device.

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 20:51 »
the only thing i would suggest has i have done before on here is to build yourself a very secure run , wether your girls are in the garden or in a run it doesnt matter ethier way they will always be happy especailly if they are ex batts that were caged up.

as for dogs near chickens all i can say is ppl are brave to even try it i would not trust a dog near any chickens its asking for trouble  :nowink: my dog would ummmmmmmmm well he would die happy lets put it that way  :lol: :lol:although sayign that he mite run a  mile hes petified of feathers big or small  :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 22:37 »
Well I can only say how lucky we are to have Pennydog!  She comes into the chook runs with us whenever we go down there.  She will chase and kill rats, mice and moles and chases cats, but has Never touched a chicken, although she growled at Mary once when Mary tried to pinch the broken egg I'd given Penny, and Penny runs a mile when a chicken goes under her tummy and pecks her nipples!!!!   :lol: :lol:

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 22:57 »
and Penny runs a mile when a chicken goes under her tummy and pecks her nipples!!!!   

.....and who can blame her Grannie Annie!!  lol

Seriously though, Craig 1981, have you buried strong netting to form a skirt around the run!

New hens, how exciting.  Good luck.
cathangirl

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 06:15 »
Well I can only say how lucky we are to have Pennydog!  She comes into the chook runs with us whenever we go down there.  She will chase and kill rats, mice and moles and chases cats, but has Never touched a chicken, although she growled at Mary once when Mary tried to pinch the broken egg I'd given Penny, and Penny runs a mile when a chicken goes under her tummy and pecks her nipples!!!!   :lol: :lol:

bet thats funny to watch , but i find it interesting that some dogs just dont care while most would only do one thing .reminds me of my jack russell who brought up 17 kittens an he let them do the suckling motoin on him he'd porbably run a mile if he got in with my girls .

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 07:27 »
Lol my girls chase my dog around the garden! He thinks its a game! I wouldn't leave him out there on his own with them tho. You cant be to sure.

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 08:53 »
yes i have buried my thick wire fencing to around half a matre i think at the same depth of the fence posts . i suppose its just down to luck whether you get foxes or not as i have ready people saying they havnt had a fox in all the years theyve had chooks yet some folks have them on the first week . I am very excited though and just want to do my best to keep the girls safe

xx
Keeping out Mr Fox

Started by Ruth Cross on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 19, 2007, 10:26
by muntjac
xx
new to hen keeping

Started by chelle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 28, 2007, 18:11
by chelle
xx
Keeping two

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 21:55
by turnip
xx
bee keeping

Started by violet on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 08:03
by violet

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 37 queries.