Barking hen

• 5 Replies

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Barking hen
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:57 »
One of my year old hybrids has been making a little barking noise - rather like a pheasant call. When she does it her beak is a little open, but she is not persistently gaping. She's been doing it for 2-3 days. She is not unwell, lively and eating well (or looks as though she is eating at least), she is laying okay. Sod's law being what it is she is one of the hens it is almost imposssible to catch.

Is she coughing? Is there something obvious I can look for assuming I catch her?
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

danmegal

Re: Barking hen
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:57 »
My hens sometimes make what I describe as a barking noise (wouldn't liken it to that of pheasant though) when they have their corn of an evening and they guzzle it down too quick, could it be she has something stuck? Do chickens get coughs?

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:50 »
My hens make that sound when they stuff themselves stupid with treats.  It is usually short lived and they go on with their day.  Is this what is happening with your hens?
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Beano

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 16:21 »
Our hens sometimes makes a noise like a cat purring. It makes me think they are happy.
One even crowed like a cockerel the other morning. I think that was because the other two were causing a racket and she wanted to stamp her authority. But I haven't heard them make a noise like a pheasant.
El.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 19:12 »
Watching her today I wonder if it actually a warning noise - she does it when there is a new heap of green stuff to go at.  She has never been top hen but is certainly in top rank. Her flock has increased from 3 in August to 11 now (in stages) so perhaps she just wants to assert herself.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Please advise - she's still "barking"
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 18:39 »
I think I spoke too soon. She continues to make the funny sharp noise at intervals, and gives her beak/head a sharp shake sometimes. I have had a feel of her crop this afternoon and it was fairly empty, looked in her mouth which was clean and pale pink, the little closey over bit was opening and closing nicely. Whilst I was holding her she kept her beak open, but when I put her down it seemed to close okay. She pecks about fine and dandy and doesn't seem depressed or distressed in any way.

The symptoms aren't typical I  know but might it be gapeworm?

xx
barking mad ???

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 20:00
by daveinmanc

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 36 queries.