Broody Chicken dilemma

• 12 Replies

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Broody Chicken dilemma
« on: May 17, 2009, 12:33 »
My black star hen has gone broody again last time I got her out of it by putting her in a cage for a few days  but this time I am thinking :wacko: I would like to put some eggs under her and increase my flock     so do hybrids that are not meant to go broody stick at it? and.... where can I get blue eggs and white eggs from? oh dear what am I thinking of I must be mad but I keep reading about all these chicks and  :) :) :)
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

raeburg

Re: Broody Chicken dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 14:40 »
For blue eggs try Cream Legbars.  Very pretty eggs and you can tell what sex the chicks are as soon as they have hatched.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 14:44 »
Araucanas lay lovely blue/green eggies (I have some in my incy at the mo), silver Dorkings lay lovely big white eggs (I have two 6-7 wk old girlies) and are not as flighty as some of the lighter breeds such as leghorns! you can also sex the silver dorkings at hatch too.

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 16:36 »
I have popped some eggs under a broody hen and cant wait for the result. There are 2 wyandotte (silver laced) batam HENS. 2 cream legbar HENS. Also 2 speckled sussex HENS. So.....i am hopeful for hens. Seems a shame to not take advantage of a broody hen!
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 17:26 »
I also have what appears to be a broody hybrid.  Have suspected it for several days now:  she has lined a nest with her barred feathers and is not interested in free ranging. 
Hybrids aren't known for their staying power and I have no incubator if/when she does give up, so resisting temptation of getting fertile eggs.  But only just resisting.
cathangirl

dianemk73

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 19:02 »
My hybrid cross orpington and maran has gone broody and boy does she mean it! She has sat for almost 3 weeks now and is evil when turfed out for food. She is now renamed as Ann Robinson

loam ranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 20:36 »
I have a hybrid bird who is broody, I was given 9 light sussex eggs to put under her, the eggs have been under the hen since 29th of April so with a bit of luck I will have 9 female chicks and no cockrils.  This is my first try at hatching eggs.
Geoff

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 21:29 »
good luck with the broody hens, one of mine a cuckoo maran went broody and I got given some feathered leg bantam eggs to put under her (don't know what breed - the lady thought they were silkies but they looked different to me). Well 3 weeks on and we have some smashing yellow and black bundles sitting safely under their foster mum :D. Now another of mine, a black rock has just decided to go broody as well. I have left her for a couple of days turfing her out of the nest box several times just to see if she was serious. Oh boy she is very serious!!! So tomorrow I'm off to get a dozen large fowl eggs to put under her. Have spent today building new nest boxes in anticipation of all those ladies laying. Haven't told him in doors yet about the next lot of eggs!! ;)
Staffies are softer than you think.

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 22:01 »
ok I shall give it a couple of days to see how serious she is. :) does any one know where I can get cream legbar eggs and silver dorking eggs just incase   ???

raeburg

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 22:12 »
For the legbars I can recommend chirpy chicks, I had 6 from him and 5 hatched into good healthy birds.  They have just moved permanently outside.
http://chirpychicks.com/cream_legbar.htm

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 17:29 »
Mrs Rythm the blackrock has now got a dozen french copper maran eggs under her and has settled down quite happily, so fingers crossed that she sticks at it - 21 days and counting. Just informed him indoors  his only comment was "how many do you want?" Well - where these eggs came from as well as most breeds of chickens there are ducks, rheas, peacocks, infact if its feathered he's probably got them - so just waiting for another hen to go broody. Perhaps next year!!!!   :D

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 14:13 »
well my black star didn't stay broody for long, she kept coming out to eat. shes a greedy thing always first to the food, pushing the others out of the way. So back to plan A pullets or pol in June /July I shall have to start looking for a place that does cream leg bars or aracunas and silver dorkings so I can get them together thanks for your help.

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 14:29 »
I got my eggs and also 4 pullets from Gaz at Kirton Holme poultry (not too far from you), he breeds and shows all types of birds, chickens, bantams, rheas, ostriches, ducks, peacocks (not sure about geese), facilities very good. All vaccinated. If you pm me I'll give you his number, bet he has the breeds you want  :)

xx
broody chicken

Started by kelsgirlsx on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 10:57
by joyfull
xx
help re broody chicken

Started by abd1964 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 20:14
by abd1964
xx
is my chicken broody

Started by phil-c on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 19:26
by bantam novice
xx
is my chicken broody or ill

Started by atwickwitch on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 14, 2012, 10:41
by JamesFarmFood

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 29 queries.