Poll

Greenhouse - At Home or On The Plot, (If You Had The Choice)

Home
26 (92.9%)
Plot
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: May 31, 2009, 07:49

Greenhouse - home or away?

• 14 Replies

GillyHen

• Not far enough from the madding crowd
Greenhouse - home or away?
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:56 »
I've got a nice space up at the plot for my mini walk-in plastic greenhouse to go. I have to put in there tomatoes, peppers and chilli peppers, with a courgette plant. However, am wondering if maybe I should put it against the back wall of the house here - in summer, these plants are going to need a good soaking every day, surely? If I miss a visit to the plot one evening now and again and the greenhoused plants miss a drink... they will suffer for it in the long run won't they.

So can you cast your votes and tell me if you think the greenhouse plants would be happier closer to home, or if they will manage up at the plot possibly not getting a drenching every day in the hot weather.

Gwiz

Re: Greenhouse - home or away?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 06:18 »
I used to have a greenhouse up the allotment, but, as I couldn't get there everyday to open and close the door/vents, or to water, it just used up space.
The greenhouse at home is another matter, It's used to capacity.
I'd put yours at home, if I were you., but be warned, you'll soon wish you had a bigger one. ;)

matron

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 06:22 »
Home.
As Gwiz said you will want a bigger one. I have 2 greenhouses, one at home and one on plot and could really do with another one  ::).
I wouldn't use up room for courgette though.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 07:32 »
home ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 07:46 »
Two at home, would like another - but the only space is on the plot and I would not consider one there.

At home it's easy enough for neighbours to pop around, open the doors, water etc. if you're on your hols. Then there's also the vandalism aspect.

I agree with matron, don't waste valuable greenhouse space with courgettes.

As you asked for votes, GillyHen, I've made it a 14 day poll. Hope that's OK & those who've already commented will cast their vote.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:51 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

crowndale

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:22 »
definitely home.  I have one at home, quite small though, would love to expand it but no space really to do so.  had a 10 x 8 foot GH on the plot which was great but even though I only live a few hundred yards from the plot couldn't get there every day (fostering babies takes a lot of my time up!) and stuff suffered.  so I freecycled it and now have more growing space, or will once I get around to digging the ground over, getting rid of the weeks etc.  actually will probably move the shed, or put up a new one the old one is so old, where the GH was coz the shed blocks light from teh GH site anyway where it is now.  but now I'm rambling!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:31 »
Definitely home - they need keeping a close eye on. And you don't want those vandals getting their hands on it..  >:(
Rachael

Elcie

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 10:29 »
I have an 8x6 one at home and I love it.  Means that even when I am at home I can grow my own and on days when I can't get to the plot I can still get my gardening fix!  To be honest I wish I had space for another one but I have a tiny garden and no room at the plot either.

Gardenmunkey

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 11:05 »
Due to the small garden at home,  our greenhouse is at the plot. This time of year, its all about making sure that one of us visits after work to ater etc. Luckily my parents are retired and live round the corner, so they go a couple or three times a week for us.

GillyHen

• Not far enough from the madding crowd
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 11:48 »
Ooh, what a marvellous response. :) Thank you. That's decided then - home it is. I shall plant the courgettes at the plot though. There has been a greenhouse previously - or a double cold frame judging by the vast amounts of broken glass I carted home :blink: but having dug over the earth rows in between the concreted row, the strawberries I've been given could go there. Sun reaches ground most of the day in that corner. Thank you for the poll!

Parsnip

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 12:02 »
I'm with the majority. Home definitely and I'm also with the you want more greenhouse space brigade too ::) I've got a small four tier pastic greenhouse and also a walk in one...both are full... :lol:

Next year i'll shall have a proper big one... :D

shaun

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 13:02 »
one at home and my world famous one down the plot that is bursting with toms at the moment  ;)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

gobs

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 13:23 »
It depends on your circumstances really, 2 aspects to it as DD said, your neighbours and vandalism. As our site is safe and it's really easier to ask a fellow plot holder to water if I'm away - who also knows what he is doing - , for me it is better on the plot.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

peterjf

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 14:17 »
i chose home because the flimsy greenhouse wouldnt stand one night down the plot , at home you can shield against a brick wall ect

RichardA

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 14:25 »
I am very lucky as all my garden plots are at home and I have two greenhouses and a  large poly tunnel. the pleasure and conveneience of walking up to them and getting on with jobs or just tinkering and occasionally dealing with a problem such as sudden expectation of frost when plants are hardening off or getting a  neighbour to water round is immense. I am lucky I know but I would if I had to choose always keep my structures, sheds and greenhouses close to home.
R

xx
The Ones That Made It Home

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 22:39
by DD.
xx
Home Composting

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 15, 2012, 12:55
by Eblana
xx
Home Bargains 79p

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 16, 2016, 12:35
by upthetump
xx
The Home Guard!

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 21:36
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.678 seconds with 41 queries.