Are my Asparagus dead or just shy?

• 3 Replies

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
Are my Asparagus dead or just shy?
« on: May 16, 2009, 21:58 »
Late last year I planted two rows of one year old asparagus crowns.  So far I've had one solitary shoot out of them.  Should they be up by now, or am I just being too impatient?  Would putting a cloche over the row help to warm the soil up a bit faster?  I've put a manure mulch over the row and tried to keep the soil moist. 

A few other people on the allotment site have said their one year old crowns haven't produced any shoots yet.  However Mr Allotment Rep's wife, who has had her plot since approximately 1938, has a massive bed of mature crowns which are sprouting left right and centre.  I am a new gardener who especially loves asparagus and I'm getting worried that I've somehow killed them off.   :(  My soil is quite heavy, but I did dig plenty of organic material into it beforehand.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: Are my Asparagus dead or just shy?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 22:38 »
Hello Wombat18, welcome to the site :)

You're being too impatient I'm afraid...  the old addage of 'the best things come to those who wait' deffo applies with asparagus!

Remember, you really shouldn't cut asparagus until it's at least 3 years old so that it has had time to develop a strong and healthy root system; that's why your ancient neighbours have such a good crop ::)

Let what comes this year develop into ferns without touching them, same for next year and then the year after you'll literally be reaping the rewards  8)

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 22:55 »
Oh well, I guess it's off to Tesco for a year or two more.   :lol:  Thanks for your reply, I'll stop pacing up and down in front of the asparagus swearing under my breath and let nature take its course.

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 10:19 »
hi just reminded me that i sowed some asparagus sedd last year and nothing so left it now 20 leaves are showing so that may be your answer.

xx
Asparagus & Rhubarb from Asda looks dead.

Started by ldavison10 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 15:28
by DD.
xx
My grapevines look dead. I've just spent £30 on two dead sticks

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 19:59
by Jay Dubya
xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.512 seconds with 36 queries.