earth worms vs vegetables

• 16 Replies
earth worms vs vegetables
« on: May 15, 2009, 00:54 »
after setting up one of our large raised vegetable boxes i was wondering if earthworms are
my friends or foes ?
the box has been 'sealed' from beneath with membrane to stop worms bringing the clay up into the box, but do we need some worms to aerate the soil etc  or will they be bad for the root variety of veggies we hope to grow such as carrots and parsnips ?

thanks in advance  :)

Re: earth worms vs vegetables
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 02:32 »
Earthworms are to be encouraged you wont see them working hard at breaking down your soil stucture but without them your soil will not thrive . Always fascinates me how hard earthworms work ,In the autumn early winter when you place a layer of rotted manure on the soil within a few months they have dragged it below taking with it all the nutrients and fixing it into your soil . They do little damage if any to vegies .So if you want a good soil structure manure and compost are the way forward .

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 07:49 »
Hello Greenas.....

Can I ask a couple of questions that are linked to one of your earlier posts about lining the inside of your boards.

Why did you "seal" the bottom of your raised beds, was this really done to stop worms moving soil into the beds?

What have you sealed it with? And what have you filled your beds with?

One last question, when you say the word "Clay", what do you mean, do you mean soil?

Bob
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 08:12 by Eatyourgreens »

penance

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 11:09 »
Get the membrane out, double dig the soil/clay at the bottom of the beds and work in some compost/manure and also grit if you want.
Then refill the beds.

You do not want to stop worms getting to the soil, they are your friends!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:26 »
Get the membrane out, double dig the soil/clay at the bottom of the beds and work in some compost/manure and also grit if you want.
Then refill the beds.

I wouldn't dig into the clay - although it has nutrients in it, it's not good structure-wise.
Dig as far as the clay then leave the clay alone.
The worms won't pull the clay through into your good soil because it's very heavy - and they would break it down anyway, if they did, so it wouldn't be a problem.

You do not want to stop worms getting to the soil, they are your friends!

I agree with that, though!  :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:34 »
"I wouldn't dig into the clay"

I think the idea is that "Double digging" works the topsoil and subsoil layers separately, without mixing them, isn't it?

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:38 »
I wouldn't get to concerned about digging or not digging this clay yet, it may turn out to be ordinary soil!!

Bob

penance

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 14:00 »
"I wouldn't dig into the clay"

I think the idea is that "Double digging" works the topsoil and subsoil layers separately, without mixing them, isn't it?

Yes, what i was meaning is that digging the lower spit and incorperating compost etc will help to stop the lower soil panning and also aid drainage. I did not mean to dig the clay soil into the bed soil.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 14:11 »
I love earthworms and if I accidently bring one to the surface, I immediately cover it so the birds can't snatch it up. In our spuds we get the occasional little 'hole' where the worm started to burrow before it realized it was solid, but the holes aren't a problem as they're very shallow and quickly heal over with no damage to the plant. this year I hope to build a small in-ground, lidded wormery to breed the little fellas so I can move them to various veg beds that need help.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 14:39 »
Did you see this Trillium?

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 00:49 »
Interesting concept. I'm just going with a plain rectangular frame partly imbedded in the soil, lots of tasty scraps and newspaper strips for the little fellas, and a hinged lid to keep the birds out.

Babstreefern

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 16:20 »
I absolutely love earthworms. :)  I feel really guilty when I'm digging away and I accidentally chop one.  If one comes to the surface, I pick it up and drop it down a hole in the soil so that the sun won't dry it out or the bird can't get them.  I get so paranoid about them, that if I see one struggling on tarmac, I have to pick them up and put them in the shade. 8)

You defintely need them in the soil.  The best place to see them at work, is your own compost.  When your stuff as composted down, lift your hatch, and dig out a section of it where its nice and black, and you will see loads of worms, its them that's turned all your leaves and other stuff, into compost.
Babs

lightyears

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 16:44 »
taking of worms, i opened up last years dalek bin today to spread it, thousands of red worms. and the muck, well no more needs to be said.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 11:20 »
Mine don't go into the pure clay subsoil (there's nothing for them to eat there!), and they don't seem to disturb the deeper layers anyway - I'm currently excavating raised beds to remove weed-roots, and there are very few worms below a foot down.

Oliver

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 12:07 »
......  or will they be bad for the root variety of veggies we hope to grow such as carrots and parsnips ?
Firstly, earthworms are the sign of a good soil. No worms, poor soil. Worms good ...
Secondly: how deep is your raised bed? Trying to grow parsnips in a sealed shallow (10" is what our neighbour has!) bed is a crazy idea unless you want a fine crop of fangs/stunted/curly parsnips and carrots
Oliver :blink:
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
How soon to earth up?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 23:19
by John
xx
what on earth?

Started by Beano on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 20:25
by JoshP
xx
what on earth was that!!!

Started by purplebat on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 18:29
by purplebat
xx
earth up grass

Started by vetter on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 20:21
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 36 queries.