Blight on tomato seedlings?

• 6 Replies

Chico

Blight on tomato seedlings?
« on: May 14, 2009, 10:52 »
Well, my tom seedlings are between about 7 and 12 inches high and they are showing signs of blight....   already.  :unsure:

i've got about 10 diffetent varieties and it's showing on most of them, just as i was about to put them in the greenhouse...  can blight really affect toms so early? 

it's got the yellowing of the leaves and the brown spots, but i thought i'd disinfected the trays well enough and they've been growing on my windowsil. 

any suggestions?  and advice?!

is it too late to start from seed again? 

HLS

• Experienced Member
Re: Blight on tomato seedlings?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 10:55 »
I'm not an expert but I'd suggest it's probably something else unless you've been growing them in soil/compost that could have become contaminated with the blight last year.  What are they growing in and how have you been watering them?

Chico

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 11:04 »
I've grown them in some compost/well rotted stuff that was supposed to be a bargain from the local garden centre*, in brand new 3 inch pots in a tray that was in the green house last year (which did have some blight),  i washed them with soapy water and disinfectant...   perhaps the disinfectant wasn't strong enough?   I've just been using a measuring jug and tap water to water them, not over watered or underwatered (or so i think) 

i don't think it's spider mite or water splashes, because some of the leabves are yellow with brown spots and some of the other leaves are just starting to get the brown spots on them...

* perhaps it could be some of that contaminated stuff i was reading about in here?  (paranoid? moi?!)

sssb

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 11:45 »
hi on the same topic.  my toms are now in final 12 inch pots, i potted them down a couple of inches, the main stem at soil level and below has turned very dark and thinner does enyone know if this is likely to be blight, or maybee over watering, can i save them, or hopefully is this normal.  thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:12 »
Very doubtful it's blight. There's only one confirmed incident in the whole of the UK and that's in "volunteer" spuds in South Cornwall.

Blight Map

Any chance of a photo? A picture paints a thousand words.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sssb

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 12:17 »
thanks when kids get home i will get a photo, i only know how to log on :wacko: thanks again

Chico

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:19 »
aye, I'll take a photo when i get home tonight (at work at the mo!)... 

i'm really hoping it's not... fingers crossed!  :wacko:

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Tomato seedlings

Started by AussieInFrance on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2016, 13:10
by Goosegirl
xx
Tomato seedlings - how do I now tell which is which??

Started by sunlover on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 16:57
by diggerjoe
xx
tomato seedlings

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 21:19
by starry

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 36 queries.