HELP Me Please!

• 22 Replies

skelly

Re: HELP Me Please!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 15:36 »
Hi all,

many many thanks for the posts to date. A great help and been browsing through the site. I didnt realise there was as much knowledge in it.
Now if I am reading ride, provided you look after them and keep happy, the rest is a learning curve.(IE seeing what your particular hens do or dont do with regards to garden etc.)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 16:28 »
I never recommend ex-batts to first time chicken keepers.  They do require some extra care and knowledge to be honest.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 16:32 by Aunt Sally »

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 17:12 »
I never recommend ex-batts to first time chicken keepers.  They do require some extra care and knowledge to be honest.

I agree.
we'd already got 3 when we got our ex-batts and it's such a worry.
 :(

Rubellite

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 17:32 »
i should think carefully about exbatts as they can be very awkward and die on you very suddenly .

Oh Munty, don't say that :( :(
If this is indeed the case there are a few of you out there who are going to be in deep trouble if it happens to mine........(you know who you are!!) :unsure:

sorry rubes, but it does happen - and i think i remember that we warned you about it!!
 :D

Hmmph - were more for the pros than the cons as I recall. Committed now though  ::)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 17:39 »

Hmmph - were more for the pros than the cons as I recall. Committed now though  ::)

The only pro for ex-batts that I can see is a moral one - giving them a few weeks to a couple of years happy retirement after their professional career is over.

Spadefighter

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 19:28 »
Thats partly it, the other reasons for starting with ex batts is that they are vaccinated and are heading for the mincer anyway. If they are to drop dead so be it, at least they have been well treated at the end.

I would also rather take an ex batt than be ripped off by some dealer as friends of mine have been.

Sorry if I'm ranting a bit, I just feel strongly about this having seen the state of mine when they arrived compared with how they are now. Thats my opinion, I'm leaving it there! :tongue2:

Rubellite

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 22:16 »
Thats partly it, the other reasons for starting with ex batts is that they are vaccinated and are heading for the mincer anyway. If they are to drop dead so be it, at least they have been well treated at the end.

I would also rather take an ex batt than be ripped off by some dealer as friends of mine have been.

Sorry if I'm ranting a bit, I just feel strongly about this having seen the state of mine when they arrived compared with how they are now. Thats my opinion, I'm leaving it there! :tongue2:

Steady on now Spadefighter.
I have four girlies (hybrid POL) who I bought from a very kind lady up the road who answered all my silly questions (as I didn't have a clue).
Now I've signed up for 4 ex-batts after dithering a bit (this lot helped me make my mind up) and picking them up next weekend.
I've also just told someone on the forum that I will take in her 3 ex-batts as she needs to rehome them :tongue2:
So, it'll be 4 originals, 4 ex-batts and 3 ex-ex-batts.  :lol: :lol:
What a jolly lot we'll be.
Got all their separate quarters in hand and the field is big enough for another 4,489!!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 22:18 by Rubellite »

Spadefighter

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 22:53 »
 :D :D :D

Page created in 0.786 seconds with 36 queries.