What fruit tree to grow ?

• 5 Replies

Thamesmeadhammer

• Tony & Ali's Allotment
What fruit tree to grow ?
« on: May 13, 2009, 10:35 »
Hello all,

I was wondering what is the easiest fruit tree to grow and maintain on a small plot ?
I want to grow stuff around it as well

Have had a look through some books but am not sure which one would be best from a choice of Gooseberry, Apple or plum.

Any advice ?

Thanks

Tony

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Re: What fruit tree to grow ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 11:25 »
All of those would probably be fine, but I suppose it depends on how much space you've actually got, and what sort of fruit you like best :)

If you're going for trees, you'll need to consider spacing them 10 - 12 feet apart to give them and their roots space to grow.

Gooseberries (obviously!)come on bushes which stilll need spacing, but won't grow as tall as your fruit tree suggestions. You can get small root stock on both varieties of tree which will mean they don't get too high and utlimately give you a more compact tree.

If you're wanting to cook with your fruit and want a Bramley apple tree, you need to consider the fact it requires two other types of apple trees close by for pollination. This might not be a problem if your on a plot as others may already be there.

If you bought reasonably mature trees/bushes from the garden centre, you probably would be lucky and get a small ammount of fruit this year, but don't expect masses - maybe a pie or twos worth :wub:

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 16:19 »
You can get apple trees grafted on a dwarf root stock. Some of these as suitable for large containers/pots.
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

gobs

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 17:25 »
All your choices are easy, also are cherry, sour cherry and pear. All have got their specific diseases but keeping the fruit from the birds is usually a much bigger problem, especially with cherries. Apple and pear trees will need more in the pruning department than the others. Dwarf grafts are available of all. Probably will have fruit trees nearby, look around, so won't need to worry about pollination.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 18:25 »
I know they're not part of your wanted list, but I recommend blackcurrants, or redcurrants, I had the most wonderful glut last year, and we pay less than £4 a plant from our local garden centre, so I'm guessing that's the average price. We froze them and have been enjoying smoothies all winter, and at less than £4, you can guarantee getting £4's worth the first year!

Hope this helps,
Herbie
herbiegrowsbananas

SG6

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 18:32 »
Apple: Get M27 rootstock(6ft) or M9 roostock(8ft).
Make sure the apple is not a triploid.
Plum: Pixy rootstock is the dwarfing one.
Cherries: No idea how to get a dwarfing tree but the birds will eat them all.
Gooseberries: I have half standard gooseberries, on a 3 ft stick and make it very easy.
Redcurrents: Again half standard, on a 3 ft stick.
Pears: Think these are usually big.

Alternative: Ken Muir - they do minarette trees. Similar to the earlier ballarina trees. Forms a "tree" that is basically a trunk only (6ft) with short branches of 4-6 ins. They have a fair selection. Costs a bit more about £26-£28 I think. Have a Williams pear myself but I have it for pollinating an Asian pear. The asian pear does not pollinate it. If on an allotment I suspect they could get broken easily - will need staking. But they take up a small space. May be worth a look.

xx
ID help with Fruit Tree

Started by cloudcooking on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 18:58
by mattwragg94
xx
Fruit Tree's

Started by Shadrak on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 12:21
by Shadrak
xx
fruit tree

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 06, 2019, 11:50
by samuria
clip
Can someone ID this fruit tree?

Started by Puenktchen on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post August 12, 2015, 12:30
by Puenktchen

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 36 queries.