Gasp! Soft Shelled Egg!

• 6 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Gasp! Soft Shelled Egg!
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:27 »
Okay, my hen's eggs have shells like bullets.  Always . . . . .until this morning! :ohmy:  When I let them into the run for their porridge (oatmeal and layer mash mixed w warm water)  I found a soft shelled egg and poo in one of the nest boxes.  Our Maran just layed her first egg two days ago and it was a beautifully formed one too.  The others have been laying for about a month with no problems.  I just can't figure how this happened.  We're pretty sure it's hers as we got three eggs out of our four hens yesterday and there weren't any dark brown ones.  I'm really concerned now.  Is there anything we can do, or is this just one of those things that happens once in a while?  Help! please!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Roughlee Handled

Re: Gasp! Soft Shelled Egg!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:40 »
If she has just started to lay do not worry it is just the her body getting used to the fact.

As a precaution and for future do you have crushed oyster shell out for them?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:01 »
We have hen mixed grit out for them and they also get several hours of free ranging in the garden every day.  Weekends, half term, term breaks, all day long.  I've seen that oyster shell stuff and it looks awfully large chunks to me. Am I being just an over-protective goddess? :wub:

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:03 »
It is big (or can be) I do and have re crushed the shells with a hammer.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:56 »
Maybe it is not proper oyster shell, sounds like it could be cockle shell???
What might help as a back up is a little limestone powder added to their feed for a week or two to top up their calcium levels, plus mix in a teaspoon of cod liver oil to aid absorption just once a week. Cut right down on treats like mixed corn perhaps for a little while. If they have all been laying normally it is probably just a little blip. :)

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 12:15 »
My maran X laid soft shells for a while. I added limestone flour to the feed and also moved them on to a new bit of land. Something worked, not a soft shell since! The eggs are still a little on the small side though, compared to the older two girlies.
 :)
I have wondered if it is a maran type problem as I've noticed that many of the members who have spoken about soft shells mention marans!!
Anyone else noticed?

LittleRedHen

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 12:24 »
I keep thinking about when we bought her from the breeder.  She was the last Maran they had and we were told that she was left over from last season.  She always has a runny nose - but only out of her left nostril.  Her poo is always orangish but looks like the norm according to the pix I've seen on here.  She's just a bit of a mystery inside an enigma.  Marans are just so different.  I am hoping that there is someone on here that can tell us about their little quirks!

xx
Still getting soft shelled egg

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 23:40
by MontyTom
xx
soft shelled egg

Started by Kiwi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 20:19
by Kiwi
xx
Still getting a soft shelled egg every other day

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 19, 2007, 22:05
by Aunt Sally
xx
Soft shelled egg

Started by Debz on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 10:07
by Debz

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 36 queries.