Terracotta pots

• 7 Replies

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
Terracotta pots
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:01 »
We were at a wonderful plant fair at Newby Hall on Sunday and as well as the usual half dozen plants, I was seduced by a beautiful, large terracotta pot.
I wasn't planning on buying one but it's size. shape and colour were just so appealing and it really looks hand-made.
Back at home the doubts started creeping in - It's made in Morrocco!  Can't be frost-proof!
Anybody any experience of terracotta from Morrocco?
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Trillium

Re: Terracotta pots
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 14:46 »
Not specifically from Morocco, but Mexico is the closest alternative for me. And no, they're not frost proof as these countries don't get our kind of frost, or cold winters where any moisture in the pot or pot contents will freeze, expand, and crack the terracotta. Been there, done that  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 14:51 »
I've read...so not sure it works,sorry....that if you line the inside with bubble wrap before filling, if the soil freezes the bubble wrap absorbs the pressure and stops the pot from cracking.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 15:12 »
Sadly, it doesn't help the actual pot which will absorb rain/moisture from exterior sources and crack. Terracotta is very quick to absorb but very slow to dry out.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 17:52 »
Hmmmmmmm! :( :( :(

gobs

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 17:58 »
If it's that beautiful, only use it for summer planting. Pots should come with a big add that they were frost proof and an extra price tag of course, so most likely it is not.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

wighty

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 21:18 »
The cheap pots I bought I have painted with stabilizer/primer and then with masonry paint to match the back of our house and I think they look 'real posh'. Been out for three years now and no problems (but then we don't get the frosts some of you do).

catllar

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:17 »
We get loads of imported pots here and some aren't frost hardy so you will see that people either a) use 'em in the summer only, or b) wrap the pot and contents up in bubble wrap or hessian and straw . What we gardeners do hey???  I'm sorry but I don't know of anyone here who wraps the inside of the pot to prevent freezing - however that seems to be the preferred choice to prevent drying-out in summer! Hope this helps. 

xx
Mouldy terracotta pots

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 17:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bulbs in pots

Started by chickpeacurry on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 17:11
by New shoot
xx
Fuscias in Pots

Started by flatt1e on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 10:37
by Yorkie
xx
Big Pots? And Potting mix?

Started by adri123 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 11:19
by adri123

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 31 queries.