good night chuckies

• 11 Replies

gcb

good night chuckies
« on: May 12, 2009, 22:09 »
One of my birds has taken to spending the night in the nest box. I have 3 birds and there is plenty of perching room. Should I discourage this by blocking off the entrance to the nest box at night or just leave them to get on with it? She used to spend the night on the perch so she does know how.
geoff

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: good night chuckies
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 22:13 »
Is she laying yet? 1 of mine started doing that just before she started laying! I just go in after dark and pop them back on the perch, they soon get the idea!  :D
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gcb

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 22:28 »
She is laying, but she didn't today - maybe she still wants to try - bless!
geoff

caralouise1974

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 22:32 »
I have to admit that we have tried and failed to make our buff orpington go onto the roost, instead of sleeping in the nestbox, and have given up. The only problems we might get are pooey eggs, or possibly bare bellies, where the birds get all moist underneath from sleeping on that lovely warm nesting material and their feathers fall out. Neither have thus far been a problem, as they tend to shift the poo out of the way before they lay in the nestboxes and their bellies seem fine.

If you can live with both of those possibilities and she's happy sleeping in the box, why stress about it?  :D

Spadefighter

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 23:00 »
One of mine has started doing this recently and has lost a few feathers. I thought maybe there were mites or something on the perch, but there is no sign and the others seem quite happy. I wondered if it was related to the warmer weather.

smasters

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:11 »
Have the same problem with my three ladies, they all prefer cuddling up in one nest box. I know they can perch as they do in the day whilst they doze. Tried for a week to block off the nest box and lift them onto the perches after dark. All i got was a few ungrateful clucks and dirty looks followed by them going back into the corner nearest their favourite nest box. Have taken to just putting sawdust down in their sleeping nest box and cleaning it each day. There are two other nest boxes they don't touch so hopefully if they ever start laying they will use those.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:45 »
............or possibly bare bellies, where the birds get all moist underneath from sleeping on that lovely warm nesting material and their feathers fall out.

Sorry caralouise1974 I am not having a go but a chickens feathers do not fall out from "sleeping on that lovely warm nesting material" there would be another reason, for example external parasites or feather pecking.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:47 »
Only two of ours roost the rest like to sleep on top of each other in the nest box upstairs! They will not be moved no matter how hard we try! :tongue2:

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 09:13 »
All of ours roosted except one that hadn't started laying.  When she started laying, she went to roost with the others.  Chicken philosophy, so strange.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Hengist

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 10:00 »
I suspect 3 of my 4 sleep in the nest box - well cuddled up!  The billy-no-mates who gets to use one of the 2 perches must depend on who's last in.  I'm living with it.

Debz

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 13:41 »
I have one girl who sometimes sleeps in the nest box and sometimes perches.  I guess it depends on her mood but as she lays me an egg almost every day, I am not going to disturb her.  I just have to clean out the nest box a little more often.

Sue33

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 14:16 »

well three of mine like it in the nesting box :) and the other one (who's a bit bossy) likes to sleep on the perch, they do look cute all cuddled up together  :D

xx
What good/not good to feed hens?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 23:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
Egg at night

Started by ctayts on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 16:18
by ctayts
xx
Tonights the night!!!

Started by clairebeau on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 21:37
by clairebeau

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 36 queries.