existing rhubarb

• 14 Replies

halogirl5

existing rhubarb
« on: May 12, 2009, 21:25 »
Big rhubarb plant on my allotment-only had the plot four weeks and it looks very established although only the bases of the stalks are red.  Is it ready? The leaves are huge-I know they are poisonous though.  What do I do after I've harvested them (and how do I do this?)

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
Re: existing rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 21:35 »
You can eat Rhubarb as soon as there is a stem to eat, so we have been eating it since about mid March.

Yes the leaves are non-edible and you should aslo leave the top inch or so of stem.

Take hold of a stem and pull it down and it should come away from the plant, if not cut it off near the base of the plant.

Then top and tail it, so cut off the bottom and top inch or so of stem and leaf, add Leaf and bit to compost heap  :)

Cut stem into inch pieces and cook (I am not a cook but you normally add sugar as Rhubarb on its own is too sharp).

I can recommend Rhubarb Crumble  ;)

Bob

halogirl5

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 21:44 »
thanks a lot.  Once I've eaten them all, what happens?  Just leave it and it will regrow for next year?

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 21:57 »
It will take some doing to eat all the leaves off of a Rhubarb plant of any size, but if you look like you will, then stop.

All plants need leaves to grow and Rhubarb stores energy made by the leaves in the roots and the crown, so it can throw up new leaves early next year. So try and leave some leaves on the plant.

But don't worry, most people have far too much Rhubarb and are happy to give it away.

Bob

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 22:08 »
I've got some rhubarb seedlings - what's the next step?  Thin and pot on (one seedling per pot?).  Or should I sow clusters?

Thanks

noshed

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 23:16 »
Just eat it until you're fed up with it (about mid June) then leave it alone until next year. Mulch it deeply over the winter with manure or compost. Then the miracle will happen again.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 01:42 »
I've got some rhubarb seedlings - what's the next step?  Thin and pot on (one seedling per pot?).  Or should I sow clusters?

Thanks

If the seedlings are big enough I'd pot on singularly but take care.... they eventually grow into big plants so aim to give some away of swap or you will be hacking your way through it come next spring in order to find a bit of space for something else!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 21:53 »
Coolio, thanks guys.  I've only 3 large raised beds in my garden and then loadsa pots, so thinking I'll just dig up some ground around my compost bin, which gets a decent amount of sun, and plant one or two plants there, assuming the seedlings survive!

lisa80

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 15:04 »
help!!!!!! planted  a root 3 months ago and covered now weather is good have un covered but each stem keeps going limp???? any ideas???

noshed

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 15:31 »
Has it been getting rained on? If not, give it a good watering. Tidy up any rotting bits and it will get growing soon. Rhubarb is pretty bomb-proof

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 19:25 »
I may well have misunderstood what you say has happened, but when you say 'covered', do you mean you've put a pot or something over it to force it?  This can weaken the plant - remove the pot and see how it goes, as noshed said
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Babstreefern

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 19:41 »
I've had rhubarb crumble a few times already, and already getting sick of it.  Although what I'll be doing is freezing bag fulls so that we can have it in autumn/winter as well.

Babs

lisa80

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 19:56 »
we have a seperate freezer that we are going to use for  veg from allotment etc    the good life here we come!!!!!!!!!! he he

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 22:12 »
We don't freeze our Rhubarb, just enjoy it in season, that way we keep the freezers for more value items.

Bob

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 01:31 »
Water - rhubarb needs a good slosh if the roots are dry.... don't cover at this time of year.

Freezer - keep it for something that has a short cropping season and something you have more than you can eat at the time & you'd enjoy eating later.

As far as I know you can pull rhubarb at almost any time as long as it is still tender enough.... just leave some stems / leaves to keep the plant growing.  ;)

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb (again)

Started by ThatsNice on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 09, 2013, 22:30
by SkyeEnt
clip
Rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 22:32
by Trikidiki
xx
Rhubarb

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 13:39
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 36 queries.