Lettuce help please

• 4 Replies

mad mark

• Experienced Member
Lettuce help please
« on: May 12, 2009, 13:03 »
Growing some lovely lettuce in my plastic greenhouse and also some in the ground but the ones I have in pots outside now seem to being eaten by something small. Just small holes in the leaves, any suggestions for preventing this? Is it the fly? Bit cold yet for flies I would have thought?? Any ideas to keep whatever off? I have wire over them and today due to the weak sun put a piece of plastic carpet protector runner over them to try to warm them up abit..... ???
When is summer coming? :) 8)
Mad Mark

compostqueen

Re: Lettuce help please
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 13:07 »
it might be flea beetle and you can give them a bit of a raking round the soil they're in with a little plastic fork or some such to aerate and disturb the soil around the stems.  Covering with fine mesh or fleece is a good idea but done at the time of sowing.  You can use Derris dust or liquid to kill the beggars but I wouldn't bother. The holes are unsightly but have no calories so they don't worry me  :D

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 13:14 »
Growing some lovely lettuce in my plastic greenhouse and also some in the ground but the ones I have in pots outside now seem to being eaten by something small. Just small holes in the leaves, any suggestions for preventing this? Is it the fly? Bit cold yet for flies I would have thought?? Any ideas to keep whatever off? I have wire over them and today due to the weak sun put a piece of plastic carpet protector runner over them to try to warm them up abit..... ???

i'm not sure whick fly you speak of,but as a rule loads of insects will have a nibble.
so if the problem is'nt severe dont worry about it.

rivkele

• vo quartet
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 16:07 »

Is it the fly? Bit cold yet for flies I would have thought?? Any ideas to keep whatever off? I have wire over them and today due to the weak sun put a piece of plastic carpet protector runner over them to try to warm them up abit..... ???

i'm not sure whick fly you speak of,
[/quote]

yes, which fly do you speak of?
i'm curious because i've got lots of tiny little flies which seem to spend their time flying round my lettuces. i can't see what they're doing though. the lettuces are getting eaten, but i'm pretty certain that's snails.(it's the slime trails gives it away :D)
i've been wondering what the flies are up to and if it's good or bad.
rebecca:-)

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 16:49 »
No slugs as I have pellets down and as for whick fly( toquote sort of anyway) I haven't a clue as I am too busy working to have time to look. Will rake up the soil idea anyway and see if that helps.
The mixed lettuce leaves dont seem to be affected by the darn things anyway so we should get some calories from them.
Cheers :lol:

xx
lettuce

Started by dawnj on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 10:42
by lisa80
xx
cos lettuce

Started by lisa80 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 11:22
by lisa80
xx
Lettuce

Started by Alistair1392 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 17, 2015, 16:21
by Blackpool rocket
xx
lettuce?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 10:10
by Aidy

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 36 queries.