how much mash to feed

• 5 Replies

leebou

how much mash to feed
« on: May 11, 2009, 19:41 »
hi all
I have been making a mixture of boiled potatoe peelings,veg mixed with some layers pellets for a warm mash for the girls.I just wonderd if i am over feeding the 7 hens i have.They love it and after there crops bulge out.How much mash should they have and how often is 3 times a week to much.
Hope you can help
Lee

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: how much mash to feed
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 21:50 »
Hi leebou, we tend only to give our girls a warm mash in the cold autumn and winter days.  The rest of the year they just have their pellets adlib and some greenery and occasionally a handful of corn each in the afternoons.

Fat hens are not good layers.  Their crops bulge because they do love their mash and they are greedy little beggers!!!! lol

leebou

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 19:06 »
thanks for your reply,ive taken on board what you have said and will leve the mash for the colder weather and give some corn in the afternoon.
Thanks alot
Lee

dugless

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 21:11 »
Hi leebou, we tend only to give our girls a warm mash in the cold autumn and winter days.  The rest of the year they just have their pellets adlib and some greenery and occasionally a handful of corn each in the afternoons.

Fat hens are not good layers.  Their crops bulge because they do love their mash and they are greedy little beggers!!!! lol

It just goes to show these things are not set in stone so to speak.
Mine being ex bats almost demand  their porridge in the morning and a mash every afternoon they stand on the corner and kick up a din if they dont get it, yet  they still lay 1 egg each per day  exept the occational day.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Sopho

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 13:54 »
Mine get a helping of mash on a sunday with the peelings and leftovers from the sunday roast veg! they love it warm and sometimes for a treat i hide some cooked spaghetti at the bottom for them to find!

dugless

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 20:54 »
We had to go down the road of making mash as they would not touch the layer pellets  and were not too fussed over the corn, we were getting eggs but not so many as we now get :) :)

xx
chicken feed (mash)

Started by Caretaker on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 17:57
by Tony H
xx
My first chicken question. Feed mash and fresh vegetables!

Started by SpudtheBinx on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 23:16
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
mash

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 10:45
by Craig69

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 36 queries.