How low can you go?

• 6 Replies

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
How low can you go?
« on: May 10, 2009, 20:23 »
One of my young CLs has turned out to be a stunningly good flier - all the other hens do the low level trundle - this girl is like a harrier jump jet. She can achieve 8ft of altitude from a short run up. OH's veggies are behind a 5ft fence - all we've ever needed before - and he's anxious. Anyway, less of the backstory.

I clipped her right wing this afternoon, but she can still clear 5ft - not sure by how much as I didn't see her go. I took off about an inch off the primary flight feathers. How low can I go? Is there a reliable way of recognising when you are into the quick? other than blood spurting out I mean.

Please help - if her excavation feet get into that veg patch I'm a deadun.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Re: How low can you go?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 22:15 »
We have the same problem with our CLB...................the only thing for it is to remove both legs!! :D :D :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 22:36 »
I usually take about 2 inches off, but some of them aer determined and don't let a little thing like wing clipping stop them!

Hae you considered a ball and chain??   :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 23:10 »
When i did mine i took the primaries to the same length as the secondaries!  :D whether it will stop the little tinkers is another matter?  :lol:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 20:28 »
I played almost the same wing clipping game with mine last year only to find it did nothing.  Then my neighbour who had kept chickens in Italy, came round and hacked 3 inches off them!!!!!  They seemed fine and certainly haven't flown since or maybe their scared of my neighbour and her shock tatics!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy:

Caralou

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 20:40 »
I played almost the same wing clipping game with mine last year only to find it did nothing.  Then my neighbour who had kept chickens in Italy, came round and hacked 3 inches off them!!!!!  They seemed fine and certainly haven't flown since or maybe their scared of my neighbour and her shock tatics!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy:

Send you neighbour up here!!! I keep taking the girls down a little bit at a time as I do worry about going too far, but one girl can still find a way over to the flowers - she even climbs the meshing at the top to attempt escape at times  ??? ::)

Laverne88

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 21:12 »
Get her in the office and take away her pilots licence..........

(
Stay Muddy x

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 28 queries.