Thining Out

• 14 Replies

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
Thining Out
« on: May 10, 2009, 16:16 »
Hi,

My seeds have been in the ground now for a week in my Sq Ft garden. I have noticed that my radish have started to come up as in the image below and i wanted to know what do i do next as i know i will have to much for the sq ft. Should i leave them to grow a little more and then trim down the weakest ones to leave 16 of them or do i let them all grow. The preoblem i have is i dont have anyware else to replant anymore.

The guide i have been following stated this "If all the seeds grow snip, off the weakest using a pair of scissors to leave the strongest seedling. DO NOT PULL OUT as this disturbs the roots of the wanted seedling"

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Thining Out
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 16:46 »
I grow radishes very close together and eat the largest as we go, leaving the others to develop. Other people might thin them sooner than that but I'm all for eating what you can  :D

Bearing in mind the space between each little clump you could maybe try this  :unsure: if you wanted. They tend to push each other over a bit as they grow  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 17:01 »
Ok so if i just leave them as they are. I have 16 sections in that image and in each section/ hole i sowed 3 seeds in each. Does this mean that they are to close.

Chris

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 17:07 »
From the photo I'd say probaly not, given that they can push out all around them. If you have any really weedy ones you could always snip them off at ground level.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 17:07 »
If I were you, in a square foot, I'd "Broadcast" sow them - i.e. scatter them thinly over the whole area. You'll get a lot more in.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 17:58 »
Cheers for the advice. I will leave them as they are for now and next time i sow them might try your way and see how i get on. Am still learning everything from here :-)

Chris
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 18:00 by chrisb1357 »

gobs

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 19:59 »
Cheers for the advice. I will leave them as they are for now and next time i sow them might try your way and see how i get on. Am still learning everything from here :-)

Chris

As hinted, radish needs no space. I don't have a photo, but I have them growing on the piles and thin as per Sunshine. Carrots and beetroot are similar, they just push each other out. Cando with onion seedlings too.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 15:27 »
My radish and beatroot another week on. The seem to be getting very close with each other on the ground. Am i worrying to much and to just leave the beatroot and radish alone to push one and other out the way.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:50 »
Yes you are IMHO -- they look good to me  :D

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 21:37 »
Many Thanks, I will leave them then LOL. Sorry with all the questions so far but my mum says if you dont ask you dont get

Chris

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 21:52 »
Don't station sow your next batch.  Do as DD says and broadcast sow or sow in lines thinly.  I grow in raised beds and I guess that the principles will be similar.

Everything is sown much closer together than the packets suggest.  It is also sown equidistant to each other.  I do thin my veg, but it really depends on how large I want it to get before harvest and the type it is.  As sunshineband says, radish and beetroot push others away and don't mind a bit of crowding.
Cheese makes everything better.

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 23:22 »
I would just leave 2 beet at each station. You could poke a few more beet seeds in between the stations now. Sow in rows next time as suggested and thin to about an inch apart.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52 »
I would still broadcast sow. I can't see the point of rows in a square foot.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 08:29 »
But for now you can add some seed in between and have more for you space  :D

lisa80

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 13:54 »
i did thin my radish out a little and as with my beetroot they came along alot quicker once i had .But yours dont seem as crowded as mine were so i would leave them,well done they look good!

Page created in 0.624 seconds with 28 queries.