Ground Elder

• 7 Replies

potter

Ground Elder
« on: May 09, 2009, 08:29 »
Ground Elder is ruining my life!!!! Ive tried removing roots...spraying with weed killer,(B.C.)..before chickens.. but it keeps rearing its ugly head.  I dont get chance to do half as much pleasurable gardening as I would like because I keep pulling this stuff up. Any advice?
The lady loves milk tray...and dairy milk....and galaxy....and mars bars.....and crisps....and wine.............etc......................etc.................etc

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Ground Elder
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:38 »
Hello potter,
That's another thing the Romans did for us. it is believed they brought it over from Europe as a herb and medicine for arthritis and gout, etc.
Bane of my gardening; that and horseradish.
I'm sure more experienced folk will be on soon, but try covering with heavy plastic and prepare small patches of ground as and when you can.  Keep hoeing.
Sorry, not much help, but I will look out for useful answers as they come along.
cathangirl

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:47 »
I greatly reduced it on my plot one year by using weedkiller to stop it getting out of control, then digging out the roots.

Unfortunately I no longer have that half of the plot and the tenants of it haven't even tried to keep on top of it so it's awful again.

I think cathangirl is right, cover and dig (although obviously don't cover the bits you're currently digging or it could get a bit pointless!).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 09:01 »
I agree with the covering but favour the heavy, woven ground cover fabric which allows air and water through rather than polythene.
I used this material to clear large areas of pernicious weeds including ground elder, creeping thistle, buttercup and couch grass with great sucess.
you could plant squash through the fabric if you cut small holes
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

potter

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:02 »
Im interested in how i could use it for the arthritis and gout.....Im bound to get it in me back  with all the bending im doing pulling the flippin stuff up! :lol:

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 10:14 »
Ground Elder is ruining my life!!!! Ive tried removing roots...spraying with weed killer,(B.C.)..before chickens.. but it keeps rearing its ugly head.  I dont get chance to do half as much pleasurable gardening as I would like because I keep pulling this stuff up. Any advice?

agricultural strength roundup will sort it.may take 2 hits though.

potter

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 19:39 »

Blackbob you are a font of knowledge!!! BUT...can I use this where I have free ranging chooks???

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 22:09 »

Blackbob you are a font of knowledge!!! BUT...can I use this where I have free ranging chooks???
yes not a problem,just keep them in until it's dried.we spray spring barley with roundup to speed the ripening process.

xx
Ground Elder

Started by casper on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 15:14
by casper
xx
Ground elder

Started by Zyg on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 12:29
by Stree
xx
Ground elder

Started by lowermeadow on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2019, 16:33
by lowermeadow
xx
Ground Elder

Started by val3147 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 14:15
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 36 queries.