Waiting .....

• 35 Replies

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Waiting .....
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 07:43 »
no waiting list when we took both of ours on, but they are now splitting them into half plots as they become vacant, i think the most we have had on our waithing list is 6.

cAnAry53

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 17:01 »
Went to see the site chairman,had the tour,chose my plot started on it that afternoon, guess it depends where you are.

ben

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 18:35 »
In Exeter, there are 1500 plots, and the waiting list is years. They even stopped accepting new waitees about 2 years ago for the whole of Exeter !

sean moore

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 20:22 »
im number 6  out of 30 waiting so not long to go hopefully
regards
sean

Christine

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 20:41 »
It took me a year. Fair enough. I was lucky. Usually it takes thereabouts here as plots become vacant when people don't pay their rents because they can't be bothered any more or have become that bit too old.

The committee is getting a bit stern about people who don't work their plots here. They are being a lot more proactive about people who don't actually grow things on the allotments and inactivity for 6 months can be an evicting matter.  Can only be good for the keen people.

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 16:19 »
Not all bad news then - guess I'll just have to keep fingers crossed for a short list.  To be honest I think sometime next year would probabally be best now as wouldn't have much of a clue what to plant now being quite a novice.  At least I have got time to get my plans straight (not too much time I hope  :unsure:)
I have a pair of secateurs and I'm not afraid to use them!!

madcat

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 16:37 »
I knew the allotments were full when I put my name down (parish site) but with everything else going on, was happy to wait a couple of years if necessary. 

Blow me down, but six weeks later, the parish council doubles the size of the site and I got my dibs on the last half plot on the new site.  Freshly plowed nettle patch at the edge of a field.

The look on my OH's face  :ohmy: when I told him what 'we' had done was a picture! :D

.... a year on and it is doing great!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Teabag

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 18:00 »
About 5 minutes !!!,it was totally overgrown with brambles and had been used as a tip for a while,worked bl***y hard last year and over the winter and now looking forward to my first crop of spuds ,last year i only grew a wigwam of runners but its well worth the work so just keep going to your local lottie site and seing if one has come up.

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 07:40 »
There are 50 people in front of me on the waiting list. There are 2 sites nearby with 58 plots split over the 2 sites. I'm not holding my breath as I've been told the wait is going to be at least 5 years and with allotments being very popular at the moment I can't see plots coming up very often unless the people who have recently got one realise they have taken on more than they can cope with. Sefton council are reviewing the situation, but with councils that can mean anything.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 07:49 »
about 2 years wait for me, got it about a month ago but just getting on top of it now! It was an 'abandoned/abused' plot so I've just got to the end of clearing it!! Time to start getting things in  :D

It's a Parish plot which really does seem to be VERY relaxed...lovely

I think it just depends where in the world you are. I know a lad at work (Derby) only waiting a month or so! BVest bet, phone the allotment people and ask?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 08:15 »
7 years ago, I got a large one the next day.

The waiting list is now over 100 in the town overall.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 08:37 »
I put my name down in October and was offered one in February.  Our allotments renew subscriptions in October, so i suppose plots come free when people dont pay for the following year. 

Also, if your preferred site has a 'trading shed', it may be worth visiting to show your enthusiasm and ask when subsciptions are due?  By nagging them a bit will let them know you are a serious grower and not just being 'fashionable'.

good luck. :)

Swing Swang

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 08:44 »
Sian

> I also live 18 miles away from the plot whcih shows you the level of my desperation......

Ouch! Must have quite an impact on your 'food miles'

SS

Swing Swang

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 08:49 »
I brought about 100sqm of 'verge' from the Council, which is quite big enough for me, so perhaps an allotment isn't the only option available to you. Not a cheap way of doing it though.

SS

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 10:22 »
I waited 12 months before I got fed up of being fobbed off and suggested to the council it might be a winner all round if they let me clear an overgrown site (instead of waiting for them to locate "resources") in return for a plot.  I have to admit I thought it was a long shot but they said yes.  :) Have you looked around for any badly neglected sites...the sort that nobody will probably touch with a barge pole!?  They are the type you need to try this tack I think.  Worked for me anyway.  Best of luck and hope you get a plot soon. :)
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

xx
Anyone else going mad with waiting?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2024, 15:56
by Learnerlady
xx
still waiting for PSB...

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

93 Replies
Last post June 14, 2015, 16:29
by Blackpool rocket
xx
still waiting for the frost!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 20:29
by DD.
xx
It's worth waiting for.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 01:02
by Dora5

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.