Bl***y snails

• 52 Replies

elibump

Re: Bl***y snails
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 06:48 »
Save them in a sealed container, feed them on one of your lettuces for a couple of weeks then cook with garlic butter and eat, once word gets around they'll not be so brazen about being found red-footed (snails don't have hands) in your cold frame.

Carolyn xx ;)

What's the recipe?

No probs - didn't get this sort of recipe from Jimmy Young in his day did you!

Starve the snails for a week (in a bucket with a lid to stop them escaping).  Wash them carefully, blanch them for 5 mins in boiling salted water.  Take each snail out of its shell, remove the black part of the tail.  Rinse in lots of water, cook for 2 hours in a well-seasoned white wine court-bouillon.  Wash each shell carefully and drain.  Prepare the stuffing: 

60g Butter, 6g shallots, garlic, 10g flat parsley, salt & pepper.
Finely chop all the ingredients and mix thoroughly with the butter, season to taste.

Put a little stuffing in each shell and replace the snail.  Seal with the same butter.  Put the snails in an oven-proof dish with the opening facing upwards and bake well for 8 mins in a hot oven. 

Recipe taken from the French version of Mrs Beeton. ;)
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

Debbie D

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 09:16 »
fun job for slugs,3ft cane with a darning needle taped to the end.get ya torch and go and do a bit of spear hunting.you can get loads on the needle before you need scrape them off.dont bin them leave lying on the ground Kermit will have a feast lol.

Uuuurghhhhhhhh, Thanks so much for that I will have nightmares now. :ohmy:

jamesbrownontheroad

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 09:21 »
Could someone tell me more about the coffee grinds option? We drink a lot of coffee made from the inexpensive Arabica ground coffee from Lidl (£1 a pot this week!) so have a daily supply of this. Is it a tried and true barrier?

violet61

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 09:32 »
Nope! never worked for me, nor the eggshells :( I also read somewhere that coffee also makes the soil acidic, so I just add to my blueberry pots!

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 07:26 »
Save them in a sealed container, feed them on one of your lettuces for a couple of weeks then cook with garlic butter and eat, once word gets around they'll not be so brazen about being found red-footed (snails don't have hands) in your cold frame.

Carolyn xx ;)

What's the recipe?

No probs - didn't get this sort of recipe from Jimmy Young in his day did you!

Starve the snails for a week (in a bucket with a lid to stop them escaping).  Wash them carefully, blanch them for 5 mins in boiling salted water.  Take each snail out of its shell, remove the black part of the tail.  Rinse in lots of water, cook for 2 hours in a well-seasoned white wine court-bouillon.  Wash each shell carefully and drain.  Prepare the stuffing: 

60g Butter, 6g shallots, garlic, 10g flat parsley, salt & pepper.
Finely chop all the ingredients and mix thoroughly with the butter, season to taste.

Put a little stuffing in each shell and replace the snail.  Seal with the same butter.  Put the snails in an oven-proof dish with the opening facing upwards and bake well for 8 mins in a hot oven. 

Recipe taken from the French version of Mrs Beeton. ;)

Thanks elibump, I will try that the end of this month! :D
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 08:13 »
Yep, slugs and snails have an excellent homing instinct, so lobbing ocer the hedge or road just does not work.
cathangirl

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 09:15 »
But if you're lucky a thrush might find it before it finds its way home.  ;)
Rachael

violet61

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 09:16 »
Or get squished by a car, my car!! :lol:

violet61

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 09:24 »
I just wish the sheep would eat the damn things!!

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 09:38 »
I tried coffee grounds round my radishes last year - the number of slug bites diminished but I didn't get any radishes either!  It wasn't exactly a scientific trial, as I had just chucked a bit of multipurpose compost and some seeds in a bit of ground next to the lawn that had obviously previously been under a flowerpot or something, so the radishes may not have succeeded anyway.

elibump

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 17:03 »
Beejay

Please let me know how you got on - if this recipe doesn't work let me know and I'll ask around the village for other recipes (just never sure with these 'older' type of cookery book, tastes have changed rather)

Good snailing!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

joyce c

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 22:01 »
First season with raised beds.  Does anyone know if those dreaded shelled creatures attack raised beds.  We're using torch method, and get about 20 per night.  They're on my flowers only, which are in a walled bed.  Hense my search is around this wall.  I have 2 hens, but they don't seem interested in the snails.  (Maybe put a little salt on them will make them tastier   ;) )

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 22:22 »
Well I've had them climb walls to a hanging basket, so I'd imagine raised beds would present no difficulty  >:(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2009, 22:42 »
Sorry Joyce, snails ( and slugs) can climb almost anything  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: The torch light parade is quite effective though -- the more you get now, the fewer breed ......  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2009, 05:37 »
Well I've had them climb walls to a hanging basket, so I'd imagine raised beds would present no difficulty  >:(

Yes.....they're quite happy on ceilings too. Guess they practice upside down on all our leaves for that stunt :nowink:

xx
Small snails eating my Swede leaves, how do you stop snails ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2011, 13:10
by JohnB47
xx
Are crushed snails a deterrent for other snails?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 22:26
by easyonthebrain
xx
Snails different types?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 01:10
by Paul Plots
xx
Slugs n snails..

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 10:53
by Wildeone

Page created in 0.958 seconds with 37 queries.