can these things be composted?

• 9 Replies

doreensallotment

can these things be composted?
« on: May 08, 2009, 17:04 »
I've just cleared out my kitchen cupboards, and have loads of packets and bags of various things (including flour) that are way past their use by date (in some cases years past!!). It struck me that most of it could be composted, especially the flours. Am I right in thinking that if it is vegetable based it can go in my compost bin, but anything with yeast in can't?

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Re: can these things be composted?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 17:07 »
Would the flour not go a bit sticky and gloopy when its wet cos of the gluten content ? I've not experience of composting it, but plenty of making a flour and water sticking paste... ::)

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 17:24 »
I composted dried fruit and that worked – the foxes went nuts over it, but what was left was no problem.

I haven’t tried flour, but guess you should be ok as it’s only grain powder. Provided you keep a balance of other stuff in there and don’t let it get too wet I would think it will be fine.

David.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 21:16 »
Flour can be composted, and the bags - just mix it in with all the other stuff.

HelenaK

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 07:42 »
I got a sealed bin and compost pretty much everything (I avoid composting bones of oxtails etc as they are too chunky).
I got dairy, meat, fish, fluff from the tumble trier, paper bags, tissues and anything else that has ever grown in mine.
I use bokashi bran for some of the stuff that could turn smelly.
As long as you mix things it seems fine!

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:51 »
I got a sealed bin and compost pretty much everything (I avoid composting bones of oxtails etc as they are too chunky).
I got dairy, meat, fish, fluff from the tumble trier, paper bags, tissues and anything else that has ever grown in mine.
I use bokashi bran for some of the stuff that could turn smelly.
As long as you mix things it seems fine!

i would say no the the first 3.your more likely to attract vermin and i cant imagine the stink.
you could be creating a significant health hazard there.

doreensallotment

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 09:26 »
it's not a sealed bin, its a wooden slats one. I wouldn't try to compost meat or fish in it. I don't want to attract rats. We get big ones in Chalvey! If I put in lots of flour and the dried yeast, do you think I'll grow some bread? Seriously, dried fruit, dessicated coconut, flour, very old dried yeast, and then plenty of green weeds on top, should be alright.

Knoblauch

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 15:44 »
Far better to make flour bombs to chuck at the local boy racers though ...

HelenaK

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 20:57 »
I get my sealed compost bins from the council for £5 each and the bins are odor free. The mice ate the chocolate in the shed instead of going for the compost.

(just had to add that I guess this is my mothers fault as she adds everything, even whole ducks (yes plural) as I caught 3 by mistake fishing. They all turned into a lovely compost. She really has by far the best compost I know. She just avoids citrus peal but I am aiming to prove her wrong there. This is also in a compost with sealed sides.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 21:15 by HelenaK »

HelenaK

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 21:17 »
it's not a sealed bin, its a wooden slats one. I wouldn't try to compost meat or fish in it. I don't want to attract rats. We get big ones in Chalvey! If I put in lots of flour and the dried yeast, do you think I'll grow some bread? Seriously, dried fruit, dessicated coconut, flour, very old dried yeast, and then plenty of green weeds on top, should be alright.

You should be fine.
Dig it down into the pile and don't add it all in one place.

xx
What weeds can be composted?

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 22:17
by Elm street
xx
Can fish scraps be composted?

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post November 10, 2007, 11:33
by muntjac
xx
can tomato plants be composted

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 18:02
by mumofstig
xx
Can Potato Haulms be composted safely?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 10:22
by gobs

Page created in 2.629 seconds with 36 queries.