Definition of "free range"

• 19 Replies

Caralou

Re: Definition of "free range"
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 01:02 »
Poultrygeist will be on here soon and give you the whole story, as he knows that one off by heart! lol But basically, even hens kept in a run can be classed as free range, but DEFRA says they must have access to at least a certain percentage of green vegetation at all times, and the ability to go in and out of the henhouse whenever they want.

As ours don't have any vegetation growing in their run anymore, only what I dig up and give them, I changed my sign out the front as it used to say free range, but now says, 'fresh eggs laid by our own hens', because there are people around here who buy eggs from a local big producer and then sell them on.

As mine have destroyed my whole garden this also counts for me  :ohmy: Although, the evergreens are still standing.... for now at least! ::)

Spadefighter

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 09:24 »
Ours did have the freedom of the whole garden but the poo and destruction was too much for the Mrs, so they are now fenced in at one end and let free whenever we are there to keep them off the veggies. The quality of eggs suffers without grass IMO.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 09:25 »
CL, you forgot the most important one......        SELL THEM!!     :D

We have a customer who has had 166 of our POL's, he is collecting another 100 of this lot and already ordered another 100 of the next flock not even hatched yet!  ???

He lives in Honcastle, and works in Sheffield.  He takes his eggs, either gives them to hi Mum and aunty, or puts them on the bar at the pub his son now owns, and his Mum alone sell 40 dozen eggs of his a week, just to her friends and neighbours!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 09:50 »
CL, you forgot the most important one......        SELL THEM!!     :D

We have a customer who has had 166 of our POL's, he is collecting another 100 of this lot and already ordered another 100 of the next flock not even hatched yet!  ???

He lives in Honcastle, and works in Sheffield.  He takes his eggs, either gives them to hi Mum and aunty, or puts them on the bar at the pub his son now owns, and his Mum alone sell 40 dozen eggs of his a week, just to her friends and neighbours!
How could I forget that one!  ::) Wow thats alot of eggies, I  have sold 2 dozen this week but still have 3 dozen sitting on the side! the local butcher wants to sell some but told her i cant  :(
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rubellite

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 21:17 »
Fried, poached, scrambled, boiled, omlette, yorkshire pud, CAKE!, merigue.................  :tongue2:

......souffle, quiche, those frittatatata thingies, the list is endless, I know, but even so 5000 chickens????? :wub:

xx
Definition of "treats"

Started by Ice on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 12:20
by kitkat
xx
"Chuks dont free range to far there's a public footpath

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 14:12
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Chicken ailment - leghorns appear "drunk" and cannot stand

Started by Envirogal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 15:58
by compostqueen
xx
Making home-made "peck-blocks"

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 23:26
by hardygeranium

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 35 queries.