Definition of "free range"

• 19 Replies

Rubellite

Definition of "free range"
« on: May 08, 2009, 16:04 »
Following the recent spate of threads regarding coop and run size I'd be interested to know the definition of free range, or rather individual opinions on it ;)
Seems some think that if it's not kept in a battery cage it is free range, but surely there's free range and free range......................... :unsure:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Definition of "free range"
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 17:16 »
Poultrygeist will be on here soon and give you the whole story, as he knows that one off by heart! lol But basically, even hens kept in a run can be classed as free range, but DEFRA says they must have access to at least a certain percentage of green vegetation at all times, and the ability to go in and out of the henhouse whenever they want.

As ours don't have any vegetation growing in their run anymore, only what I dig up and give them, I changed my sign out the front as it used to say free range, but now says, 'fresh eggs laid by our own hens', because there are people around here who buy eggs from a local big producer and then sell them on.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 17:57 »
<fanfare sounds> As if by magic, a definition appears.....
Copied from http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodrin/poultry/faq/marketing.htm#freerang

Egg production systems
Cage
A cage system consists of tiers of cages. The cages have sloping mesh floors so that the eggs roll forward, out of the reach of the birds to await collection. For each cage there must be at least 10cm of feed trough/bird and at least two drinkers/cage or 10cm of drinking trough/bird. Droppings pass through the mesh floors onto boards, belts or into a pit to await removal. A minimum of 550cm squared per bird is required in standard cages, which were installed prior to 2003.

Since 2003 only installation of enriched cages are allowed, with a minimum of 750cm square per bird along with a nest, perching space at 15cm/bird and a scratching area. In each cage feeding troughs must be at least 12cm/bird and at least two nipple drinkers or two cups must be within easy reach of each hen (where nipple drinkers are provided).

Barn
The barn system has a series of perches and feeders at different levels. The maximum stocking density is 9 birds per square metre and there must be at least 250cm square of litter area/bird. Perches for the birds must be installed to allow 15 cm of perch per hen. There must be at least 10cm of feeder/bird and at least one drinker/10 birds. There must be one nest for every 7 birds or 1 square metre of nest space for every 120 birds. Water and feeding troughs are raised so that the food is not scattered

Free range
In free-range systems, the birds are housed as described in the barn system above. In addition birds must have continuous daytime access to open runs which are mainly covered with vegetation and with a maximum stocking density of 2,500 birds per hectare.
In all systems the birds must be inspected at least once a day. At the end of each laying period the respective houses are completely cleared and disinfected.

All EU requirements for the above systems can be found in Council Directive 1999/74/EC, Commission Regulation 2295/2003/EC, as amended by Commission Regulation 1515/2004/EC and Welfare of Farmed Animals (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2002:

basically what Annie says.  :)

Rob 8)

Rubellite

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 18:19 »
Gulp  :( 
I could have in excess of 5000 birds in my field and be able to call them "free range".
 :wacko:
I'm sure if I had that many I wouldn't be able to walk for stepping on chooks!!
That's an awful lot of chicken poo as well ???

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 18:30 »
We'd be allowed about 200. That's not too bad. Pity there wouldn't be anything green left after 2 days. ::)

Rob 8)

danmegal

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 19:27 »
Just goes to show what a great job all the chicken keepers on this site do, think we should all be proud of how we look after our little friends, any housing and lifestyle we have to offer is better than that of the large scale commercially bred chickens.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 21:14 »
Just goes to show what a great job all the chicken keepers on this site do, think we should all be proud of how we look after our little friends, any housing and lifestyle we have to offer is better than that of the large scale commercially bred chickens.

Some of the chicken keepers on this site do

Not all as there is a minority that do not.  Though mainly threw ignorance and lack of planning.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Rubellite

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 21:21 »
Not all as there is a minority that do not.  Though mainly threw ignorance and lack of planning.

How many are you planning to put in your 8ft x 6ft...................
BRAND NEW (have you told the wife yet) SHED?????

:tongue2: :tongue2: ;)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 21:24 »
What ever. It has been planned for along time, just not the telling bit.

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 21:29 »
glad i read that , my girls free range an do as they please although they are stuck in a run that cant be moved  whixh  10 m by 6 m to play in and they are all happy. it does worry me that they dont get fresh grass to play in but i do give them grass cuttings when i can .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 09:58 »
Some of the chicken keepers on this site do[/b]

Thankfully, we're all here to help them to make the right moves.

It's the ones that don't come on the site to ask for help that I worry about.  :(

too many girls

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 13:17 »
i think my hens are fortunate as they are completely free (only shut away safely at night) to go where they like on our farm, they have a super time exploring but are at a much greater risk from foxes than penned birds, you can't have it all..................

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 13:31 »
Actually Rubellite, you'd be surprised.  We had a friend at Earls Colne, who we used to buy his older free range hens for £1 each when we lived in st Osyth.  He had 5000 running around, but most of the field was still grass, because they are congregated around the shed.  They never strayed very far, so most of the field was empty!

And why do you want to fill your lovely field up with donkeys????  they don't lay eggs!!    :D :D :D

Rubellite

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 23:19 »
Actually Rubellite, you'd be surprised.  We had a friend at Earls Colne, who we used to buy his older free range hens for £1 each when we lived in st Osyth.  He had 5000 running around, but most of the field was still grass, because they are congregated around the shed.  They never strayed very far, so most of the field was empty!

And why do you want to fill your lovely field up with donkeys????  they don't lay eggs!!    :D :D :D

Donkeys are extremely cuddly, and what would I do with thousands of eggs? ::)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 23:46 »
Fried, poached, scrambled, boiled, omlette, yorkshire pud, CAKE!, merigue.................  :tongue2:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
Definition of "treats"

Started by Ice on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 12:20
by kitkat
xx
"Chuks dont free range to far there's a public footpath

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 14:12
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Chicken ailment - leghorns appear "drunk" and cannot stand

Started by Envirogal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 15:58
by compostqueen
xx
Making home-made "peck-blocks"

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 23:26
by hardygeranium

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 38 queries.