Sweetcorn in a windy envoroment?

• 7 Replies

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn in a windy envoroment?
« on: May 08, 2009, 09:26 »
I Have 25/30 Sweetcorn seeds chitting that were sent up by Iwantanallotment, I am just about to head out and pot them into paper pots.

I have grown Sweetcorn south a few times before, I seem to remember growing one lot back in the colder 70's in a greenhouse.

I think I am going to split them into three lots, one in GH, one in sheltered part of my garden and another in a friends garden to see how they do.

My question is how much soil does Sweetcorn need as my GH floor concrete and gravel in the beds, I will need to build something to grow them in if they can't manage in individual pots, any comments welcome as I think growing SC up here is maybe a bit too much.

Bob

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 19:40 by Eatyourgreens »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Sweetcorn in a windy envoroment?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 10:21 »
30 plants is getting quite few for 3 separate blocks - they need to be about 4 plants square - i.e. 16 plants in a block - minimum, or at a pinch 4 x 3, to assist pollination.

I read that you have to be careful not to hoe close to the plants, to avoid damaging surface roots, but I don't know if that means they will grow in shallow soil.

My book say that the location should be "Full sun and sheltered" - so good luck!

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:38 »
Their roots don't dive down like some other plants, but they will still need a decent depth (at a guess 9-12 inch deep, but allow a diameter of say 12-15 inch per plant?) but the key is that the soil is high in nutrients (they are incredibly hungry feeders - so manure or compost enriched with something like bonemeal/fertiliser would be essential especially if their roots are to be confined)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Sue33

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:14 »

we grew sweetcorn for the first time last year (it was my favourite  :) so sweet!) and when we cleared them in the autumn I found them pretty easy to pull up, much easier than I thought they would be, maybe only 5/6 inches of roots

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 11:16 »
As they are wind pollinated they must like a certain amount of wind, and I believe they are designed to withstand windy weather.  You can earth them up to help anchor them better. If they are in a greenhouse it may not be windy enough and you may have to assist in pollination by shaking them when the time comes. Or maybe use a hairdryer ?  :tongue2:
Rachael

Oliver

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 11:25 »
Their roots don't dive down like some other plants, but they will still need a decent depth (at a guess 9-12 inch deep, but allow a diameter of say 12-15 inch per plant?) but the key is that the soil is high in nutrients (they are incredibly hungry feeders - so manure or compost enriched with something like bonemeal/fertiliser would be essential especially if their roots are to be confined)
Good advice here me lady. They can be quite close together, though 14 inches between stems works (just look what the farmers do when they grow maize for cattle feed. Sweet corn is maize, only sweet.
Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 14:09 »
"As they are wind pollinated they must like a certain amount of wind"

Yes, but I think only enough to "move and carry" the pollen.

All three of my gardening books say they need shelter from strong wind :(

David.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 15:11 »
If the problem with wind is supporting them (rather than a pollination issue) you could always grow them up through a horizontal layer of Rylock mesh fencing (that is supported by vertical posts and raised up as the crop grows, as I use with my jerusalem artichokes (can't see much of the mesh in this pic though):

And here's the structure/mesh before everything grows:

i've done this with swetcorn before - polenta maize (Franchi seeds) that with feeding got to around 2m high and got some cucumbers (Telegraph) scrambling up onto the mesh.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 21:03 by David. »

xx
Growing sweetcorn on windy site...

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 21:30
by JaK
xx
Windy Pea's :o(

Started by AlotArds on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 12:22
by JayG
xx
Windy Weather

Started by Tinbasher on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 14:27
by Aidy
xx
Windy weather...

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:29
by New shoot

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 36 queries.