great day for planting

• 15 Replies

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
great day for planting
« on: March 31, 2007, 21:33 »
Well I spent the WHOLE day at the plot today  - got up at 7am at the plot by 8.30am and returned home this evening at 7pm!

achieve massive amounts so am feeling very pleased!

Ive....

rotovated the whole plot (again ) but this time I didnt land in next doors plot, seem to be getting the hang of my new rotovator - mind you my left forearm is really really aching from holding down the trottle leaver.

Sorted out the paths - I got a whole load of old decking from my dad a while back as he was ripping up his decking in the garden so I sorted that out and made lovely raised beds. Just need to go to B & Q and get some bark to put down and thats sorted

Planted (outside) - more shallots, red duke of york 1st early potatoes
early peas, carrots and parsnips

Planted (in greenhouse) - sweetcorn, melon (galia and watermelon), cucumber, courgette (yellow and green), french beans, sunflowers, brussels, butternut squash, pumpkin, tomatoes, cucumbers, broad beans, lettace and marigolds.

PHEW!

I am truelly exhausted and I can currently identify every single muscle on my body as they are all aching!

I do feel good though - mind you looking in the mirror my face has got wind burn!

What have you all been up to today?
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
great day for planting
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 21:56 »
Sounds like you had a great day!
I bet you feel it tomorrow!! :shock:

Parenting duty stopped me today but tomorrow I aim to do at least 4 hours...get the rest of My spuds in and start on the compost heap
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

muntjac

great day for planting
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 22:01 »
did a bit of seed sowing , put me 40 leeks in single cells  , pricked out my sprouting brocoli into 3 inch pots , they will go on in them for the next 4 weeks now until they get 2 weeks hardening off and planted out in 7 weeks or so  cabbage seed to follow along with all the rest stuff i have on my list  :D  yeh u guessed it im gonna be doing some sowing now its april  :wink:
still alive /............

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
great day for planting
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 22:24 »
Managed 3rd set of broadie seed into the gound ... planted out the red flowered broadie plants ... dug a bean trench and filled it with everything   :wink:  ...  2nd early spuds go in tomorrow :D
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

Trillium

Re: great day for planting
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 22:26 »
Quote from: "lentil987"
I am truelly exhausted and I can currently identify every single muscle on my body as they are all aching!

Ditto - except I was digging 3 days ago and my muscles are only just screaming less intently. Can finally walk up the stairs without groaning  :lol:  :lol:  Gardening fool that I am, I'll be back out Sunday sorting out the strawberry patch that needs turning, enriching, hilling then replanting.  Double groan  :lol:

gardening robbo

result
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 22:53 »
My best result got rid of the wife and kids for two weeks gone the seaside with the inlaws only problem i now have no car to get to the plot but still one out of two ain't bad oh for peace and quiet shhhhhhhhhhh

muntjac

great day for planting
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 22:59 »
well i poisoned he old couples garden as i said and the grass is well burned off on one bed so im gonna chuck the rotavator over it ,bang in loads of plants  still got some onion sets and i will pick up a bag shallots , the old girl was out with me yesterday helping to put glass back in one of the 2 greenhouses  76 and she was uip and down the yard like a whippet lol .wot with tea and biscuits in the sunshine lol , continually telling me that the garden is mine to do with what i want , im telling her and hubby they will have any veggies out the garden as and when they are ready , takin half dozen eggs makes her smile as well lol im gonna have to get some pics of it sorted  :wink:

Dabhand

great day for planting
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 23:54 »
Boy are you gonna ache tomorrow.......... Job well done though!!  I pricked out the seedlings of my four tomato varieties:  Gardener's Delight, Red Berry, Harzfeur, Ailsa Craig.  Potted on some courgette seedlings.  Sown some cabbage seeds that Shaun sent me.  That's all I had time for as I was busy in the Soap mines this afternoon :)

lentil987

• Experienced Member
great day for planting
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 07:49 »
Isnt it just great that we can actually get some stuff done!
I was so sick and tired of waiting for spring and HERE IT IS! yippeee.
Happy growing season everyone.
Munty - your tips are great - I have been printing them out and taking them to the lottie so that I can look at them when I need advice. Cheers!

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
great day for planting
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 09:36 »
Yup yesterday was idyllic... and today looks promising too....

I bought some wood yesterday to attempt to make munty's bean frame.  It's great to come here and get ideas... :)  

Just gotta get to work on them all now.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

Huzey

great day for planting
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 09:50 »
Spent yesterday morning repairing my Land Rover ready for it's mot retest tomorrow!  :x
Then, I rotovated my veg plot, made some soil blocks and sowed some seed; peppers and toms (a bit late, but hey.) Mowed the grass, and had a general tidy up.
Today, I shall make some more soil blocks and sow some herbs to go in my planter, and carry on messing about in the garden, dreaming of allotments, and what I could be doing in one.
Have a great day everyone.
Huzey
All the gear.......No idea!

WG.

great day for planting
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 09:56 »
Quote from: "Salkeela"
Yup yesterday was idyllic... and today looks promising too....
Wonderful sunny day Saturday, same again today.  Clear skies made it very cold overnight.  Not just frosty but a full 6mm of ice on the water butt this morning.

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
great day for planting
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 09:59 »
Everyone had a very productive day, I planted some cucumbers, toms, re-potted purple spouting, sowed sunflowers, minipak marrows poached egg plant straight in the ground for the bees and groundcover.  And the most satisfying, was planting my 20 asparagus crowns that arrived.  Which was very exciting.  I had prepared the trench a couple of weeks ago so finally filling it in was rewarding, just gotta wait two years before I can eat it :cry:  :D  Also to end today, taking my little one to see swan lake ballet, providing she's feeling better from her cold.
My Blog  www.redwelliesandco.blogspot.com

A force to be reckoned with

lentil987

• Experienced Member
great day for planting
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 10:06 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf Clear skies made it very cold overnight.  Not just frosty but a full 6mm of ice on the water butt this morning.[/quote

tis the reason I moved to the sunnier climes of the South!

crowndale

great day for planting
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 10:16 »
First day today in yonks that the grass has been free of dew so might actually get it cut again before I have a hay meadow!

Yesterday I made two surrounds for raised beds (grow on solid clay here mostly) and dug them over.  Planted out some garlic and salad onions.  doesn't sound a lot compared to lentil but I don't have a rotovator so all dug by hand (sob story for the day!!).  Netted off said garlic and onions to keep cats off.  

Today am planning to make a start on a new set of beds that are currently lawn, so need to cut the grass down and then remove the turf.  It will need extra soil as it is quite low and floods when we have rain.  Eventually planning to put spuds in it, (chitting merrily away in the conservatory).

It is really windy up here and yesterday was cold enough to dig clay with a cut on and zipped up!  today looks about the same but at least it's not raining.  :D
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

xx
Just had a great day.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 23:53
by mashauk
xx
what a great day!!

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 10:04
by Babstreefern
xx
Great Satisfaction When its Your own

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 22:09
by compostqueen
xx
A great day on the plot

Started by Sideshoot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:37
by gavinjconway

Page created in 1.983 seconds with 36 queries.