tail pecking

• 1 Replies

magiemay

tail pecking
« on: May 07, 2009, 20:18 »
  I've only just started keeping hens, we have 4 goldlines and they seem to be getting on very well.  They feed on pellets and they love green veggie stuff, drink lots of water and most days are laying 4 eggs.  The problem is that they will keep on pecking one anothers tail feathers, not enough to pull them out but i would love to know why they are doing this and if it will do any damage.  Any advice would be welcome.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: tail pecking
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 23:30 »
It could be one or a number of reason Maggie, and if you find out why, let us know!!

I have found the amberlinks to be the worst, and I was talking to a lady by email yesterday, and she reckons its because the Amberlinks are more intelligent, they need more stimulatin than some of the other hybridsl

Look on the internet and in books and different people will say:

they are too hot
they are too cold
too much light in their coop
not enough protein in their diet
too much protein in the diet
too stressed
too bored

Some of our little Goldlines are following the amberlinks now too and also doing it.  Thing is, once they draw blood, they will keep on and on until the chicken is dead, but we don't seem to get it with the hens when they grow up, just while they are young.  Whether it is because until they get to point of lay chicks will moult 3 times, but I think it is a genetic defect in the hybrids, because I have talked to lots of people, and it seems that not many pure breeds feather peck, only hybrids.

xx
Tail Pecking

Started by Junie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 18:40
by Junie
xx
Please help-how to stop hens pecking their stubby bit where tail grows

Started by heididobie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 20:27
by oborne27
xx
wry tail or rudder tail?

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 08:59
by sneezer
xx
Wry tail

Started by ANHBUC on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2012, 23:39
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 36 queries.