boiling eggs

• 15 Replies

chicklit

boiling eggs
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:32 »
Now, I know this question is slightly off the subjects normally asked, but I really hope you knowledgeable lot have the answer!!! How do you hard boil a fresh egg and get the shell to come off easily? It's driving me mad!! I boil them for 15 mins, leave them in iced water, tried all suggestions on google and still my eggs are ruined because I can't get a firm white that stays put when the shell is removed. No matter how carefully I try to remove the shell, the white starts to come with it. Is there a knack? I do love my eggs fresh and don't want to have to keep them before eating them. Hoping you know the answer!!
" LIFE'S TOUGH, BUT IT'S EVEN TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID" John Wayne

Vember

Re: boiling eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:42 »
If the eggs are fresh in my experience there is no way of doing it without loosing some of the white :(

Sarah :)

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:43 »
I'm with you on this one Vember.

poppies

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:48 »
Yes fresh eggs are alway's hard to peel, I made scotch eggs last night ended up with little square ones

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 10:29 »
Answer - microwave them instead  ;)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 10:39 »
freshest eggs are better for fryign or poaching - they need to be a few days old to hard boil.
sorry  :(

Hengist

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 15:04 »
You need to keep thenm for a week or so. Just shows you how un-fresh shop eggs are!

chicklit

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 15:15 »
thnak you. At least I know it's just the way it is!!! How do you microwave an egg Fifi?!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 17:30 »
Well it's my new favourite thing for hard boiled as it's so easy.  (no peeling!)  I have to admit I bought a microwave egg pot from Tesco's in their £1 section but those sections come and go so you might need to look somewhere else.  However my brother who got me into it uses a teacup - covered.

Crack the egg into the holder, cover it.  Pop it in the microwave for 45seconds and bob's your uncle!  I have had a few problems with eggs exploding in the microwave - I think it's because they weren't covered securely enough.

I also found out on this lovely site that you could freeze eggs.  That's my second favourite thing.   :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 20:08 »
I once put an egg in a cup of water and microwaved it. It exploded, and could have sprayed me with boiling water and hot egg if I had had the door open at the time. Never try microwaving an egg with the shell on. Scrambled eggs microwave very nicely.

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 21:11 »
I am so glad this question was asked, as we sometimes have the same problem. But now i know to hard boil an older egg. Thank godness for that! :D

HEN
Live, Love and Laugh!

Rubellite

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 21:48 »
We've had this very conundrum this week too. In fact, I vowed never to hard boil a flippin' egg again >:(. Then my mum said "crack it before you plunge it into cold water". I did and I've had 3 out of 4 successes so far. Try it and see  ;)

Chuckles

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 22:07 »
We've had this problem tonight, they were todays eggs....actually blamed hubby for not leaving them in the cold water long enough to cool and for being too heavy handed!!!!  OOOPP'S  :wacko:

Might not share this bit of info with him!!!!!  :)  :)

peachesandclive

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 23:09 »
Hi
when microwaving eggs with shell off it is best to pierce the white and yolk a few times with the point of a knife, add a teaspoon of cold water and then cover, 45 seconds, stand for 20 seconds and then a few more seconds in the microwave depending on how you want the egg. perfect for poached eggs.
However, you can't beat (fresh) scrambled eggs with butter, cream and black pepper. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmm

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 10:03 »
Hi
when microwaving eggs with shell off it is best to pierce the white and yolk a few times with the point of a knife, add a teaspoon of cold water and then cover, 45 seconds, stand for 20 seconds and then a few more seconds in the microwave depending on how you want the egg. perfect for poached eggs.
However, you can't beat (fresh) scrambled eggs with butter, cream and black pepper. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmm

Agree. Lakeland Plastics have a microwave egg poacher with just those instructions. Occasionally you still get the egg explode though!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
boiling potato skins

Started by cherrypie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 20:51
by Fat Hen
xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
wanted mandarin duck eggs and peacock eggs please - wales

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 16:00
by babe
xx
If eggs don't hatch can i replace eggs under broody hen?

Started by ---Snakey--- on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 08:20
by Sassy

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 36 queries.