How does the Chicken thing work.

• 4 Replies

Rangerkris

• My pic's
How does the Chicken thing work.
« on: May 05, 2009, 19:12 »
I had a chat with a guy at the allotment site and he is interested in keeping chickens with another plot holder (Me) i dont know the first thing about chickens apart from there good on the BBQ with regga regga sauce.   He has delt with them quite a bit the way he was speaking.

Can it work if you share the chickens and the looking after?
Is it a good or bad idea?

Thanks
Thanks
Kris

karlooben

Re: How does the Chicken thing work.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 19:52 »
hi there , i would say it all depends how friendly you are with this guy . it can be very easy to full out with someone over something so small , i take it u know him well and trust him .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 20:51 »
It could work out well as long as you work together. It is useful to have someone to look after the chooks when one of you is on holiday. You need to find out what is involved in chicken keeping and work it out together. There is plenty of useful advice on this site.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:54 »
You'd have to come to some agreement about sharing the eggs, who does the cleaning out, who gets the chicken manure etc etc. It would be worth enquiring wether you are allowed to keep livestock on your plot too, cos we arent allowed. :nowink:

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 17:01 »
Hi, me and my mate who is also my next door neighbour share several plots including our main one with chickens and ducks. We were saying the other day that it all works really well and she thinks it is because we both have a sense of fairness about it all. It's a little more complicated than what you are aiming to do as we share veg and fruit etc. We just make sure there is plenty of everything. We also have a few people we exchange eggs with for favours. I get up early so never mind letting the girls out and my mate works long hours whereas I work from home so can be more flexible about things.
I think it works because we have similiar aims with regards to food production and taking some of the power away from the big supermarkets.
Our hens are more pets than for eggs so their welfare is the most important thing. When we took on four ex-bats to add to our existing flock of four it was more my decision as we knew that they would need a bit more care at first and I was in the position to do that.
They are 365 days of the year job so to share with somebody could be a bonus in that way.
Good luck with them and have fun if you do decide to go with it. Nic.

xx
Pics of house & pen - If I can get this ** thing to work!!!!!!!

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 16:55
by Flowerpower136
xx
Squirming bug thing in chicken coup !!!!

Started by Mischief on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 16:02
by madcat
xx
have i done the right thing

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 21:00
by Foxy
xx
Have I done the right thing?

Started by kimT on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 17:48
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 35 queries.