north Penine hillside

• 2 Replies

Victoria

north Penine hillside
« on: May 05, 2009, 15:50 »
last November we moved to 8+waterlogged acres just below the top of the moor on peat on top of shale and millstone grit in W yorks.
I can do growing on this sort of soil and I know to cage my vegs  BUT I cant cage the whole garden - any idead to stop the sheep jumping in?
We have broken dry stone walls (which my husband is gradually prepating - but 11/1mile!! and sheep wire arouind at the moment and no garden, but by this time next year I want to be up and running.
 What about ha has - the sheep seem to be able to jump 8' (when in lamb)
apart from that it is the most spectavular part of the country and we lov eeveryminute of it but at the moment all our plants are in weld mesh cages that we used to use for the chickens

Best Wishes Victoria

catllar

Re: north Penine hillside
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 15:06 »
Large jars of mint sauce on the perimeter???

Goosegirl

Re: north Penine hillside
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 17:45 »
We have sheep too, but they are separated from the veg plot by sheep netting and farm gates due to the lay out of the site. They, and their lambs can be very adept at squeezing through small holes in fences and once, someone else's strays got into my herbaceous borders from the roadside! Perhaps you could just fence off a small area at a time with sheep netting and stout posts and gradually enlarge it as time goes by. This would be relatively inexpensive to begin with and would give you a chance to begin planning and growing both your veg and flowers without the pressure of managing the whole area all at once. Ha-has could work but, then again, I am not sure given that some sheep are left to roam the fells and I don't know how good they are at scrambling up inclines! It would also cost to have an excavator dig a substantial deep moat with a vertical side. Barbed wire or culinary brambles are another option. Good luck!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
climber for a north facing fence

Started by Chiswickian on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post January 02, 2010, 15:44
by sion01
xx
North Facing Dark Shady corner....

Started by suze on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 13:05
by suze
xx
Plants (climbers?) for a north facing wall

Started by Diddy Gardener on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 21:47
by Flowertot
xx
Plant ideas for against a North facing wall

Started by Mrs.Veg on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 21:26
by WG.

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 36 queries.