Runner beans looking anaemic

• 8 Replies

soya-bean

Runner beans looking anaemic
« on: May 04, 2009, 21:30 »
I put my runners in at Easter and they have turned quite pale.  The leaves started a rich green colour but now they have become quite pale.  Another plot holder suggested it was the cold weather - hopefully they will recover.  Does anyone have any experience of this?
Pause, be still and observe the world with all your senses - you will gain much!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Runner beans looking anaemic
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 21:57 »
It's quite likely that they have been frosted, have they had any protection? They are not supposed to be planted out till risk of frost is over ???
Mine got frosted last year and died so don't know if yours will recover. :(

Perhaps you need to resow :unsure: see if anybody thinks otherwise........

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 23:53 »
yes sounds like frost damage.  They might recover but I'd have some in reserve or speak to your lotty neighbours nicely

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:18 »
Not convinced it is frost damage, the reason for my argument is we here in the tropics of Lancashire have not had external temps below 8 degrees, also Old Bob, has had his beans out for a few days now in his cold frame without the lid on, and his are a deep green colour, same variety as mine which went pale yellow over the weekend, there is a lot of grumbling at the mo about the composts being used, chaps are having problems this year big time with failings after potting on. I have given mine a soaking in seaweed extract and this morning they did look a little better. I mentioned in another post that I was having problems after potting on where the plants would keel over and we all on our site suspect some very dodgy compost which we mentioned to our LGC who told us they do have a high turn over and it hasn't been lying around. Our site rep is making enquires with other sites to see what is being used and if they to are having problems.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:38 »
I'm definitely having compost trouble too. I have the prob with beans, brussels, cabbages, tomatoes. Sweet Peas were done in a different compost and they were fine.
This stuff had added fertiliser in it too - seedlings get to about 3 leaves then go anaemic and then shrivel. Eventually the plantlet turns to dust.
Not frost, not lack of water.
Have started an experiment by adding miracle grow to some pots and not others before the plants dies to see if it is nutrients.
Will let you know
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

wellingtons

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 15:20 »
I'm not that far away from you SoyaBean and we had a frost here last week.  Lots of people got caught who had planted things out early, even some had spuds that were badly frosted.

If the yellowing is a nutrient problem, feeding should see a pretty instant result.

I've got three runner beans that self seeded, and I've left them where they are for the minute.  I did think at the weekend though that they looked rather pale.  Whatever the cause you've plenty of time to resow.

If you haven't got any seeds left, please let me know I've got oodles and can pop some in the post to you.

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 22:34 »
my lotty source of info "the old boy" told me this weekend that we should not have uncovered our beans when it was windy as they are very sensitive and will be "burned" unless in a sheltered spot.

soya-bean

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 20:36 »
Thanks, everyone, for your comments.  I think that because I was so early they got a chill.  Doing all right now and I'll be the first with beans 'cos they are now in flower.  :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 22:14 »
mine did the same when they went in, so i rushed home and planted a second batch just incase, the second batch have just appeared and now the originals are looking like they are pulling through. Anyone for bean chutney  :mellow:

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans / kiddney beans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac

Page created in 0.868 seconds with 38 queries.