Sexing of Ducklings

• 7 Replies

darrena

• Experienced Member
Sexing of Ducklings
« on: May 04, 2009, 20:50 »
Hi,
I am looking to purchase 2 female ducklings for our back garden.
We wanted the ducklings as young as possible as we have a heat lamp and space setup up in the garage for them, and wanted to experience the early weeks of their lives.
At what age is it possible to to sucessfully sex ducklings I have read that it is possble from just a few hours after hatching, is this true.

Kind Regards
Darren

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Sexing of Ducklings
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 21:06 »
If you know what you are doing it is possible to vent sex them the day they are born so big breeders should be able to do that for you. Where are you as there aren't that many duck breeders about compared to chickens.

What breed were you thinking of?

Oh and welcome to the fold, us duckies will take over in the end!!!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

darrena

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 22:31 »
Hi,

I'm in Andover which is on the Hampshire/Berkshire border.
I was looking for 2 female campbells probably in whiite but depends on availability.
We are going on holiday in June so was looking to try and find some newly hatched ducklings for our return on the 20th, we have a 18 months child who im sure will love the experience.
Did think of hatching my own but only have the room for two ducks and dont was the hastle of getting rid of the drakes, and dont have an incubator.

Darren

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 22:39 »
I have a couple of Campbells and they are nice easily available birds. One thing I would say is they are very nervy birds and if you are looking for something friedly that your child can get a bit involved with I wouldn't recommend Campbells. I started with them due to their laying reputation (have to confess mine don't lay up to their reputation) but have found them to be a really nervous twitchy breed. I have a silver Appleyard who is infinately prettier and much more chilled out even though I got her as an adult and a Cayuga who is the most fab duck in the world. I have raised Campbells by hand from hatch and they still wouldn't eat from my hand as an adult!

darrena

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 23:03 »
I was looking at Indian Runners initially but have been told by many that these do not make a friendly duck and to go for the Campbell.
I need a quiet small duck a we do not have much room.
Any other suggestions

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 23:10 »
I've never had runners but have heard the same thing (and I have a weird thing about their missing arms - told you it was weird). I've heard great things about Welsh Harlequins, pretty, lay really well and much more docile and friendly that Campbells. I am waiting to hatch some in a month if my Appleyard keeps going as a broody. Really excited about that, I have wanted  WH for ages but as you say, got to worry about getting all boys. I really like my Appleyard. You can get them as a miniture but don't think that the full size take up that much more room than a Campbell. As fro good natured i haven't been able to beat patrick my Cayuga and his offspring, although they are crossed with Campbells seem to have taken his placid nature.

darrena

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 19:05 »
How noisey are the harlequins and do you know of any breeders, one of the main reasons apart from the fact that i was told campbells were extremely friendly was their low noise levels as we live on a housing estate.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 19:59 »
Yep I got told the lie abou them being quiet too!

Campbells ae the noisiest ducks I have too! Have heard WH are quieter but that could be a lie too! I am hopefully hatching some under my broody at the begining of June so can't tell you first hand till well after then. I don't know any breeders down south I'm afraid.

xx
Sexing of Ducklings

Started by darrena on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 21:10
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
sexing help

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 21:17
by naturesparadise
xx
sexing

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 16:00
by Tony H
xx
Help Sexing Please

Started by Fraggle on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 07:00
by Fraggle

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 36 queries.