Almost there

• 2 Replies

Fruity

Almost there
« on: May 04, 2009, 20:11 »
This is my first foray into doing any serious gardening. Last autumn I set about clearing a large amount of overgrowth in my rear garden to A) make it safe to walk through, and B) give me an idea of which plants were worth keeping and which were not. One of the things I did was severely prune back a large bottle-brush shrub. I was beginning to think that I'd killed it but I was delighted to see today that dozens of buds have sprouted along the branches that I'd kept. It's a beautiful shrub and I'm thrilled to see it regenerating. A pity I can't say the same for the old honeysuckle that got a similar treatment. Oh well - win some, lose some.

This year I'm still concentrating on clearing/pruning overgrown trees and shrubs as well as general weeding. I've got to wait until they all stop flowering before the loppers come out again. As a stop-gap to give me an attractive display, I've been recycling a vast collection of patio pots and hanging baskets. Approximately 30!!! I've been digging out the old plants and reclaiming what compost I can. I figured that the compost in these pots surely can't be spent. In fact, compared to the contents of a cheap bag of multi-purpose compost, the contents of my pots have broken down into what looks like fine top-soil.

Anyway, I'm almost there. Nearly all the pots/baskets are ready for planting. I've got dozens of plug-plants waiting to go in. I'm also going to plant some salads and runner beans from seed (still have to build the frame), and some strawberries. I just wanted to share with you the pride I have in what I've achieved so far. Looking forward to a spectacular display of flowers in the summer and some yummy things to eat!

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
Re: Almost there
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 20:42 »
Good for you.  Gives you a warm glow inside doesn't it? :happy:
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Fruity

Re: Almost there
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 21:22 »
All the flower plugs and bulbs are planted now and settling in nicely. I've become obsessed with them all and inspect each plant daily.  :wub:

I lost one petunia to an unknown pest within a few days so I hoiked it out and stuck a bulb in its place. The strawberries are throwing out leaves and flowers as fast as bindweed, it seems. The runner beans have been sown and indoors I have some tomato seeds sown in pots. Now I'm playing the waiting game for these and the bulbs to sprout.

I'm planning to get a mini growhouse to keep the toms in (if they come up!) and I'm already thinking about cultivating many plants from seed for next year.

I think I've been thoroughly converted to this gardening lark. I'm applying for an allotment. I'm even talking to the plants.  ::) Does anyone else do this?

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 36 queries.