Anyone used cane connectors?

• 16 Replies

green fingers

• Experienced Member
Anyone used cane connectors?
« on: May 04, 2009, 13:06 »
Oh dear having a senior moment,

am trying to describe those plastic junctions  things with holes in that enable you to join canes together, then you can throw over netting, fleece,debris netting.

Has anyone used them and are they any good? :wub:

Nefertari

Re: Anyone used cane connectors?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 12:47 »
do you mean build a ball?  i've just ordered some via e-bay and I think that Lakeland also do them.

I'm trying various methods this year of covering the plot to keep out the predators.  I'm also trialling that blue water pipe stuff which you cut into hoops and drape netting over.

I had lots of spare polythene from doing the tunnel and have made a mini-tunnel using the pipe.  if the build-a-balls arrive before the weekend I'll try a bed with canes.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 13:32 »
Yes, sometimes called build a balls.  Im trying all different things too, from PVC coated chicken wire with canes, and waiting for my debris netting to arrive.  Just thought I could use build a balls with canes and then drape debris netting over.  Then when I have time make some cloches with debris netting.

The battle to exclude the rabbits etc is at its height!

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 14:59 »

Just received my second dozen build-a-balls from t'net.
I like 'em, but it can be tricky to find canes long enough that are the right diameter to fit...but I draw the line at aluminium tubing...

Course the balls area quid each, so I'm sure theres lots cheaper, but I figure they'll last 'bout 10 years if I don't lose 'em...!!!

Cheshire Phill

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 16:38 »
Thanks Cheshire Phill.  Really useful information.

Im excited - my debris netting has just arrived.
 So will have to wait a while to have enough spare cash to buy the build a ball.  Have checked out ebay and Lakeland, Ebay just a fraction cheaper, and of course for both sites there is p&p on top.  Havent seen any in our local garden centres.

Dal

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 17:59 »

Just received my second dozen build-a-balls from t'net.
I like 'em, but it can be tricky to find canes long enough that are the right diameter to fit...but I draw the line at aluminium tubing...

Course the balls area quid each, so I'm sure theres lots cheaper, but I figure they'll last 'bout 10 years if I don't lose 'em...!!!

Cheshire Phill
[/quote
I wonder if they could be made out of tennis balls or similar?

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 18:38 »
There's a plot-holder on our allotments whose wife helps to run the local tennis club. He has access to lots of old tennis balls and he uses those to create cane structures on his plot. He just drills a small hole that expands as the cane goes in.

One advantage of this, apart of course from saving the planet from global warming, is that there not much for the netting/fleece to snag on.

Remember, re-use is the best form of re-cycling!

Colin

Dal

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 18:55 »
Thanks for that, Colin. The reasons I was wondering about tennis balls is that, as far as I know, such things as "Build A Ball" aren't available in NZ. Secondly, using tennis balls (esp. 2nd-hand ones) should be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying these Build A Balls. You, of course, added another important reason.... recycling, etc.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 18:58 »
Dunno if relevant to what you want to do, but an alternative is water pipe hoops to support netting. I did that this weekend, some pictures on my blog. It actually turned out to be a lot easier, and quicker, than I expected.

Dal

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 23:17 »
Excellent photos, Kristen. Thanks for that.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 23:56 »
I've got a bag of plastic play balls - the sort that are used in childrens ball pits at those soft play centres - that my youngest no longer uses.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&productId=1500325719&langId=-1&engine=froogle&keyword=100+Plastic+Play+Balls

I'm going to cut a small whole in them and use them as cane toppers to rest netting over this year.
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Nefertari

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 09:07 »
Dunno if relevant to what you want to do, but an alternative is water pipe hoops to support netting. I did that this weekend, some pictures on my blog. It actually turned out to be a lot easier, and quicker, than I expected.

your pics look great Kristen.  i've done the blue water pipe thing the same but with fine netting.  i have seen the debris netting on e-bay so after looking at yours, may well get some of that.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 16:10 »
My netting has 4 rows of "eyelets" - two along each side, and then 2 rows along the length.  I'm not sure if these need to be closed up, but if you can find netting that has fewer rows of them that might be an advantage - the netting I bought advertised the extra rows of  eyelets as being an advantage (for scaffolders), but all the eBay sellers I found had the same spec.

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 15:36 »

Great pictures on your link - thanks for sharing them. I've used canes in the past (not too successfully  ::) )

The blue hoops seem to do a brilliant job - canes in the ground first as anchors - Excellent!!  :)

Big problem is: ....... where do you get blue water pipe from in the first place  ???
Looks expensive stuff to me.  :(  Any pointers gratefully received.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 16:22 »
Best thing I've found for fastening canes together is zip ties

xx
water butt linking kit connectors

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2012, 19:36
by realfood

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 37 queries.