Transplanting Leeks

• 26 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Transplanting Leeks
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 15:06 »
IMO they are better off outside............onions and garlic are outside so why not leeks :lol:
they don't need the warm to grow :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 15:57 »
My leeks, like me, are sitting at home thinking about it.... two deep trays full presently outside.

Usually they reach pencil thickness before they arrive on the plot - hoping for same again this year but they wont be going to the plot for another couple of weeks at least.

Root and top trimming = yes. I find it makes them easier to handle and the roots (which can be enormous) drop down into a dibbed hole better. Trimming the tops reduces transpiration while the new root system develops. I plant deep as this seems to help them grab any moisture in the soil even when the surfaces is dry.

When planting out I start by making a 3"ish deep furrow and then run a can full of water along it....wait until it sinks in then dib. This way the holes don't fill up with dry shifting soil. I then drop a leek into each dibbed hole and water each one in.

As the weeks go by hoeing between them gradually fills the original furrow in and more of each leek is below ground level. They can be bu**ers to dig up later as the root system is large. I have found this method has given some huge leeks in the past and the last of the crop keeps well through to end of March.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yabba

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 17:24 »
When planting out I start by making a 3"ish deep furrow and then run a can full of water along it....wait until it sinks in then dib. This way the holes don't fill up with dry shifting soil

I'll have to remember that one for when I plant my leeks out this year, saves all the fun and games I had last year :tongue2:

¥

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 17:33 »
mine are about 4" and thin, they are still in the standard seed tray ???
Should I transplant them into a deeper tray? they are way too small to go in yet.
(I want them for over the winter months)
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 17:48 »
Should I transplant them into a deeper tray? they are way too small to go in yet.

They are still way too small for the plot :( but dont know how they would stay in a shallow seed tray :unsure:
I think you have 2 choices ..either transplant to deeper tray, keeping leek at same level in the compost as it is now.  :blink:
Or, start again in a deeper tray do it quick and you'd be ok i'm sure, as they've got the rest of the year to catch up ::)

Ropster

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 18:30 »
I have just transplanted my scraggly leaks which were in a shallow tray and far to crowded into a deeper tray (actualy a mushroom container)
I planted them deeper than they where and they appear to be fine ( I did it about a week ago)

dmhain

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 19:51 »
Thanks for all your help,

I bit the bullet and transplanted my leeks today, rather than ignore anyones advice I went for the middle ground, I trimmed the roots to about 1 inch but didnt trim the tops, this left me with a good 3 inches of greenery above the ground.  Most of the joints are below ground.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 22:02 »

Mine are a bit on the thin side too at the moment - outside in deep trays. I had thought of giving them a bit of a boost and might slosh on some tomato feed - just the once. (I will use the same dilution for tomatoes or a feed of phostrogen).

I have a feeling they are quite hungry feeders and as they have been in the same soil since the seed was sown I can't see that a "feed" would go amiss. It might help them bulk up prior to planting out near beginning of June. (That's the aim anyway!) If I leave it any later they won’t have sufficient time to grow before the colder weather starts - my theory. I also need to make sure I leave enough space for several long rows as they are a good crop through the winter along with Autumn King carrots.

I won’t be “potting them on” no matter what…. Too much fiddle and it would take up too much space. One lot of root disturbance – when they go out on the plot – is enough. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 22:20 »
I don't put mine in till the early spuds come out and they still make good leeks before winter, so no worries if they are a bit slow growing folks :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 22:50 »
If you are growing leeks for winter (not modern thin ones for summer use) then there is no rush to transplant them any time soon. mine don't go in till till end of June/beg July cos they go in the bed that the new potatoes come out of :D
By then they are plenty big enough to transplant without any worries. :)
Thank goodness 'cos this is what I was going to do  --- and mine are about hair thickness at the moment  :( so at least have afew more weeks before I dig them up to move them  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 22:55 »
ooops..didn't realize i'd posted the same thing twice  :blink:  thought my first post was on t'other thread about leeks.
O well ...you get the picture anyway :lol: :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 22:57 »
ooops..didn't realize i'd posted the same thing twice  :blink:  thought my first post was on t'other thread about leeks.
O well ...you get the picture anyway :lol: :lol:

I think it is nearly tomorrow and we need our beauty sleep....  ;)

xx
Transplanting leeks

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 16:16
by Trillium
clip
Transplanting Leeks

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 02, 2019, 17:52
by Growster...
xx
leeks - transplanting

Started by superluke2 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 13:58
by Aidy
xx
transplanting leeks

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 23:26
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.675 seconds with 38 queries.