Tomato seedlings

• 17 Replies

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Tomato seedlings
« on: May 03, 2009, 20:36 »
Just out of interest, how tall are everyones tomato seedlings? I put my larger ones out in the day last week and they got really badly damaged, only been out for 4 hours! The leaves all drooped and fell off, ive kept them and a few leaves are starting to appear.

However, my other tomato seedlings are only about 3 inches tall and have been for about 3 weeks. Any ideas how to get a growth spurt or do i just keep the patience?

any info appreciated

Steve

DIGGER

Re: Tomato seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 20:37 »
Patience, but you knew that really did'nt you

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 21:02 »
I have got four varieties on the go, Alaskan Fancy now in 5 inch pots, about 8 inches and already showing side shoots and the first truss shoot. * (Just noticed the astarisk, the first word in the name rhymes with ruddy and starts with a B) Butcher also in 5 inch pots about 6 inches tall but started two weeks after the Alaskans. Silvery Fern Tree's still in 3 inch pots and about 5 inches, will be potted up as soon as I get some more 5 inch pots and finally Ailsa Craig but I only got these off a friend today and about 3 inches, but these will be my late croppers as the others are all earlies.

I think I started the Alaskan's back in late Feb so I have been watching them for two months now, you need patience for this gardening lark  ;)

Bob

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 21:31 by Eatyourgreens »

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 21:27 »
I knew that patience was the answer, just needed someone to tell me! :tongue2:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 21:31 »
The mixed varieties of salad toms to go in the g/h border are 8/10in tall, with first flower truss just coming on some, in 5in pots.  Under extra plastic for a little while longer i think.
I've also got 12 san marzano in the  polygreenhouse and they still in insert trays about 5/6in tall, these were sown few weeks later, covered in fleece tonight as not very warm out there although no frost forecast. I find they make a spurt when you pot them on or plant them out :)

Parsnip

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 21:32 »
I've potted mine on twice now...the tallest is about 4 inches ...they'll be staying in their new pots for a good while yet ...

Ivor Backache

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 11:43 »
Tamara:    3foot with fifth flower head showing. First flower has set.
Alicante:    2'6" with third flower
Harbinger: 2' with four flower.

I sow tomatoes on New Years day.
All sown in the same compost and repotted. Kept indoors facing south.The tallest ones are in the conservatory. It is interesting to see how different tomato plants develop;
Tamara: Tall spindly with potato type leaves.
Alicante; Sturdy looking with long leaves- takes up space.
Harbinger; Looks frail, small leaves and takes half the space of Alicante. Flowers are more closer together.

Bush tomato and allotment vine tomato are 3" high and have just been potted. They are outside in cold frame.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 12:04 »
I'd be interested to know how many leaves you have below the first flower truss (excluding seed leaves). I've counted 9 on my Shirley and Ailsa Craig (the leaves are alternate, rather than being in pairs, so I've counted each leaf rather than each pair)

I always have a battle between sowing early and getting enough light to prevent the Tom plants getting leggy, and it would be good to know if folk are getting flower trusses to start forming with fewer leaves than I am (or not!).

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 12:35 »

I'd be interested to know how many leaves you have below the first flower truss (excluding seed leaves). I've counted 9 on my Shirley and Ailsa Craig (the leaves are alternate, rather than being in pairs, so I've counted each leaf rather than each pair)

I always have a battle between sowing early and getting enough light to prevent the Tom plants getting leggy, and it would be good to know if folk are getting flower trusses to start forming with fewer leaves than I am (or not!).

A very interesting question!  :)

I have four Goldstar on the go and they've all got nine leaves to the first truss. I also have three Cedrico and two of those also have nine leaves, the other has eight.

In the main, the flower trusses range from between 17.5" and 20.5" from soil (compost) level, although two of my Cedrico are only 15".

How does that compare with yours?

Ivor Backache

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 13:01 »
Alicante:     10 leaves   23" to first flower
Harbinger:  10 leaves   10" to first flower
Tamara:         7leaves   16" to first flower

I grew Alicante and Tamara last year and liked the results. Trying Harbinger for the first time (old established type) Have to see what the crop is like. At the moment I prefer Harbinger for the compactness

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 13:05 »
Tumbling toms about 18" and the freebie 'organic toms' about 5'  :blush: I'm thinking of sneaking it into the sunflower competition  :lol: The tumblers have toms forming the organic one just first lots of flowers.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 15:56 »
I've got six leaves on tigerella and black cherry before flower truss, and 8 leaves on Ailsa Craig. I measured properly today and they're now between 12 and 15ins tall and tigerella is tallest! The others, purple ukraine and gardeners delight, have no truss yet :(

So seems to be quite a variation, wonder is it height or no. of leaves that decides on truss formation?

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 17:28 »
I'm inclined to think it's the number of leaves, as it's height is largely governed by available light.

It is an interesting one, that's for sure!  :)

Yabba

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 17:37 »
Ohhh, I'm gonna have to count leaves now! Mine are about knee high ( depending on height of the dwarf I measure against :roll: ) and have their first flowers on some of them ;)

¥

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 14:46 »
Ailsa Craig, Shirley [sown 15Feb] and Gardeners Delight [sown 01Mar] all 26", given or take an inch, from soil to first truss. 

xx
Tomato Seedlings

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 11:13
by DD.
xx
Tomato seedlings.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2023, 07:00
by Growster...
xx
tomato seedlings

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 21:19
by starry
xx
Tomato seedlings

Started by AussieInFrance on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2016, 13:10
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 39 queries.