What's eating my plants

• 3 Replies

Rosy

What's eating my plants
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:43 »
 :unsure:

Can anyone help with any suggestions as to what is eating my plants.  A while ago I planted two types of lettuce, rocket and radish from seed under cloches.  The radishes have come up fine but one row of lettuce and the rocket only have plants at each end and not in the middle.  At first I thought it must have been the way I planted the seeds but yesterday I put in some young lettuce plants that I had grown under glass to fill the gaps and two in the middle have already been eaten.  I treated with slug nematodes before planting (which should still be effective) and I have some cabbage etc nearby which hasn't been touched.  Just out of interest the other row off lettuce was eaten completely except for a couple of plants each end.  Any suggestions as what could be doing this, whatever it is it seems to be sticking to a certain patch.

Many thanks

Sue
Clueless but learning

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Re: What's eating my plants
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:49 »
could be snails... as nematodes doesn't touch snails..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:50 »
Slug nematodes are only effective against the underground slugs, not the surface ones - so I'd consider them as the first likely offenders.

Are the plants netted - pigeons or rabbits are an alternative.

Are the plants being pulled out, or are they just razed off at ground level?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 15:31 »
As they are under cloches we can rule out rabbits and pigeons.

Slugs usually leave slime trails and their rasping mouthparts leave untidyragged edges.

The alternative is leatherjackets(cranefly lavae) or cutworms (catterpillar of a dart moth, probably the garden dart moth, that live underground). Both of these bite through the stems at ground level or a little below and chopped off leaves are often left scattered about.

Dig carefully with a trowell and see if you can find the latter two. Both are about an inch long.

Leatherjackets are dark grey, legless, fat and soft with a tough leathery skin.

Cutworms are brown or dirty green coloured catterpillars with six front legs and claspers at the back. They curl into a ball when disturbed.

If you come across fat white grubs curled up they will be chafer grubs, which is another possibility.

xx
What is eating my plants?

Started by GrowinGrowinGone on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 19:14
by Beetroot Queen
xx
what's eating our plants? caterpillars!!

Started by Aitch on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 15:36
by tosca100
xx
Whats eating my plants!

Started by dendass on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 14:36
by Trillium
sad
a beetle eating pea plants

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 05:48
by PAULW

Page created in 0.676 seconds with 36 queries.