newbe from oxfordshire

• 8 Replies

chrissy

newbe from oxfordshire
« on: May 02, 2009, 19:51 »
i have had my allotment for nearly a year.and with the help of my sister it has all been dug, but we inherited an asparagus bed  due to the neglect it was over grown with  bindweed creeping thistle and comfrey to name but a few(Iknow comfrey is not classed as a weed  but it grows like one)My point is should we carry on trying to save it or weed kill the lot and plant another bed elsewhere.also my mother tells me that I need to spray my peas with something at a certain time or they will get maggots in them.but she didn't know what or when  ??? help please

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: newbe from oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 19:58 »
Hi Chrissy and welcome to the forums,

As your post's asking about veggie stuff I've bumped you over to Grow Your Own for hopefully more answers  :D

Feel free to pop back into the Welcome forum and tell us all about your allotment etc (we're a nosy bunch  ;) )

P.S. Forgot to try to answer your questions!  I don't have asparagus but if experience with other plants is anything to go by, you'll not manage to weed the weeds out of the asparagus bed - I suspect that they don't like being moved for weeding of the bed to happen, and also that they don't like competition from weeds.

Can't remember the answer to the pea question but someone else may well do
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 20:00 by Yorkie1 »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 20:03 »
Asparagus can be moved but in an established bed the roots will be huge, but with digging a huge lump of soil with the root it can be done...and pull out all weed roots before you replant the lump.  The easiest course is to simply create a new bed, plant with 1 or 2 year old crowns and wait a couple of years.
The comfrey grows deep and hardy and might be nightmare to be rid of, hence the suggestion for a new bed.

Forgot to answer your pea question. No need to spray for pea moth until you see signs of damage. Far too many chemicals get used these days, especially if you're in an area where pea moths aren't a problem. First a,Ask your plot neighbours if they have this problem.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 20:05 by Trillium »

chrissy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 22:13 »
thanks i think your right i will start a new bed  and wait a couple of years not that long years just whizz by.as for the peas i will just wait and see ,hopefully they will be fine but I will take your advise and ask the neighbours but i would rather not use chemicals.

Laverne88

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 08:03 »
Hi Chrissie,
               Whereabouts in Oxon are you (just being nosy!). ???

Welcome

:)
Stay Muddy x

chrissy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 20:53 »
witney

HelenK

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:53 »
Hi from Bicester!

Laverne88

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 12:07 »
i used to live in Faringdon and Kelmscot - know the area very well..... and Bicester is on the way to my home town - Aylesbury

(nobody learned anything from that statement but ne'moind, eh??)  :mellow:

chrissy

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 22:16 »
hi why don,t pigeons eat weeds i am having to net everything I want to eat even runner beans . ::) Left them some weeds but they never touched them. I do like pigeons the breast fried with mushrooms and onions in gravy with a splash of red wine is delicious :)

xx
newbe!!!

Started by cagiva1983 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 13:05
by lucywil
xx
Few questions from a newbe

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 17:22
by barbarella
xx
Newbe Potato Question

Started by Max4 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 01, 2015, 18:26
by Max4

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 36 queries.