Onions trampled by fat cat or fox!

• 10 Replies

seeNeutral

• seeNeutral take pride in delivering cost effective environmentally responsible design solutions
Onions trampled by fat cat or fox!
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:24 »
Hi

I have found one of my raised beds which was home to a load of onions has been jumped on by some anoying creature. Although a lot of the green leaves are broken or folded over most of the actual onions are still in the ground, held in by their roots.

Has anyone any advice, should I just leave them and see how they get on, or should I remove the broken foliage?

At the moment it looks a sorry state.

Any advice welcome.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Onions trampled by fat cat or fox!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 13:02 »
remove the broken bits...they will start rotting and that may spread to your onions...but expect smaller onions  :(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 15:10 »
Agree with peapod. The main leaders have been broken so the resulting onions will be smaller. If you want larger onions, get more sets planted asap and this time screen them off somehow. Obviously something likes your onions.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 15:58 »
I've got two naughty dogs that have jumped on my onions and shallots and probably had their noses in when I'm not looking - sorry you've had the same experience - at least I was around to stop mine before they did too much damage. Hope advice given by others with more experience is help to you

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 19:46 »
I have to try all sorts to keep neighbours dog, my cats and the badgers off my raised beds with onions in.  Have had great sucess so far this year just by placing the prunings off my damson tree all over the plot  :)

Apparantly they like digging in it, but can't be bothered to have to move stuff before they dig! (although knowing my luck, I'll go to the plot tomorrow morning, and they will have dug it up  - serves me right for being smug :lol:)
I have a pair of secateurs and I'm not afraid to use them!!

seeNeutral

• seeNeutral take pride in delivering cost effective environmentally responsible design solutions
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 19:52 »
Hi
Thanks for the advice, I had a fleece over the bed, but obviouslt it wasn't very strong and just ripped.

I have removed the onions which were really badly battered, I had some left from my set so have put them in their place and hope they grow. I have also put some chicken wire round the bed attached to steaks so hopefully this will do the job.

For everyones info it turns out it was a fox, unfrotunately next doors hen went missing as well last night.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 20:01 »
attached to steaks

Hope you mean wooden stakes as  rump steak would attract them instead of repel them :lol:
Norty i know but couldn't resist, sorry :dry:

seeNeutral

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 07:12 »
 ;) Yes they are wooden!

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 08:20 »
Shame! I would have nipped round for a BBQ at yours if they had been the meaty variety!

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 18:49 »
Apparantly they like digging in it, but can't be bothered to have to move stuff before they dig! (although knowing my luck, I'll go to the plot tomorrow morning, and they will have dug it up  - serves me right for being smug :lol:)

What did I say  :tongue2:.   Been up to plot today and flipping cat poo everywhere, amongst the broken onions  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 19:22 »
I net my onion bed about a foot high to keep the foxes off as they love to lie on it and also dig massive holes -- brought us some old bones last week, deposited on the bean bed (which is still empty of runner right now).
They don't like the netting much and keep off (well so far anyway  :D)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 38 queries.