What CAN'T you grow ... ?

• 63 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 16:34 »
I've never had much luck with swedes here, and most of my parsnips didn't germinate last year, even though I put them in once the ground had warmed a bit.  Sweetcorn was disaster last year too, but I put it in a water pocket I think, the year before they were lovely!

Trillium

Re: what you cant grow
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 16:46 »
Sorry these are answers WG, but everyone looks for answers  :lol:

Quote from: "jingerpot"
. The very oldies say you cant grow swedes here cos of the drainage but this year I am putting loads of shredded paper under them and having yet another go.

Shredded paper will make the soil damp rather than drain underneath, the very last thing swedes like. Actual drainage means lots of sand in the soil, coir, whatever else you've got to dig in deep. The early seedlings need water, then only off and on watering if it's too dry in summer. And, they much prefer cool weather so somewhere with a bit of shade is preferable.

My strawberries put loads of runners out but no fruit much last year despite giving loads the year before.

Strawberry plants are strong only for 3 years, their normal life span. The runners tell you that the 3 years are up and mom is putting out babies so she can die off. The first year of runners is not a cropping year, the 2nd and 3rd are if you manure/fertilize AFTER cropping, otherwise, you get loads of green growth and no fruit. Lack of water will also affect cropping, even through the summer when the strawberry genes set next year's berry size determined by this year's water supply. So, water even through the summer if there's a drought period, and keep it all weeded - another water robbing problem.

I cannot grow ONIONS FROM SEEDS they always die after getting to about 3" I dont know why.

Sounds like you're too lavish with the watering or you've kept the propogator top on too long. This usually causes damping off, a fungal rot.

shaun

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 19:21 »
cauliflower are a **** to get right had one as big as a grapefruit last year
they always get so big and blow up  
trie the leaf bending but still no good
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 20:03 »
cauli's i do ok and the secret is this ........... a secret  :wink:
still alive /............

shaun

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 20:10 »
riiiiggggghhhhht  :wink: i'm with yer now  :wink:

agapanthus

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2007, 10:48 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
cauli's i do ok and the secret is this ........... a secret  :wink:

That's really not fair Munt. :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2007, 11:04 »
Secret to caulis - from a champion grower - 2 barrow loads of manure per square yard in the autumn, followed by lime in spring to take it to pH 7

Plenty of water and extra fertiliser as they grow.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

muntjac

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2007, 11:09 »
Quote from: "john"
Secret to caulis - from a champion grower - 2 barrow loads of manure per square yard in the autumn, followed by lime in spring to take it to pH 7

Plenty of water and extra fertiliser as they grow.

kinda like wot i said  :wink:

that puts me in the champion grower league then lol :lol:

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Re: What CAN'T you grow ... ?
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2007, 21:24 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I'm not looking to embarass any newbies here.  Quite the opposite actually.   I'd like to hear from oldbies(?) about any food crop which they should be able to grow, given their climate and soil, but haven't been able to.  My thinking is that it will encourage folks to see that experienced gardeners haven't got it completely sussed.

I'll get the ball rolling ... I've never had much success with rocket, florence fennel, kohl rabi or celeraic.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi WG,  :roll: Shouldn't really be answering cos I'm a newby but just had to say that Rocket is the only one I ever grown extremely easy.
Just plant it and it grows, anywhere, fast and furious and tasty :lol:
Was told it got its name cos it shoots up like a rocket
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

WG.

Re: What CAN'T you grow ... ?
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2007, 21:40 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Now ... lets have some hints/tips/suggestions from anyone else who thinks they can help the oldbies with these crops. Notice I didn't ask for answers since there is rarely a single answer in this game. Don't be shy and don't worry that a future posting might contradict you - that is just the nature of gardening. If it is a personal experience then so much the better - even if you say "I just stuck them in the ground and it worked".

PERFECT.  Thanks Jim T for getting the ball rolling; I want newbies to answer.

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2007, 21:42 »
last year was my first year so I dont have a great long history but my disasters were:

Swede and turnip - they just did not grow
broccoli - it grew beatifully then just as i though I was getting the "crop" bit it bolted and flowered!
brussell sprouts - they grew then went all "puffy"
cauliflower - I got one or two great heads but the rest were rather disappointing.
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

Annie

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2007, 00:30 »
My Sig. referred originally to carrots,my first ever crop planted in spring only produced baby carrots in time for Christmas,no slug damage and I made everyone who laughed eat one and they were tiny but delicious!Now I have mastered the carrot there is the spring onion!I plant in the ground,I plant in trays then plant out,nothing much happens until winter when neglected onions and dormant seeds begin to grow so about now I get a crop,but why cann`t I sucessionally grow like it says on the packet?

Growbag

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 20:34 »
Cauliflowers - tried to grow them once many years ago on different land, failed and never tried again.  Always knew they were greedy feeders and occupy the land for a long time.   I only have a couple of deep beds to work with (so space limitations not ideal for growing cauliflowers) but never say never, I might give them a go again in the future.
From fork to fork

WG.

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2007, 20:36 »
Quote from: "Growbag"
Cauliflowers - tried to grow them once many years ago on different land, failed and never tried again.  Always knew they were greedy feeders and occupy the land for a long time.   I only have a couple of deep beds to work with (so space limitations not ideal for growing cauliflowers) but never say never, I might give them a go again in the future.
If you want to grow good cauliflowers, you need to use the Search button and serach for "GOD and CAULIFLOWERS" (a munty posting, you understand ... )  :wink:

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 20:40 »
Carrots. I LOVE carrots but tend to get about 6 carrots per packet of seeds. Also spring onions, never seen one above ground. Swedes are easy - here anyway - I heard they are brassicas, so grow them the same way - start in modules then plant out and stamp well in. cover with old net to keep flea beetle off. Anyone want to offer me advice on carrots?

Oh - celery - is it worth the trouble?

xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
Will they still grow?

Started by Mike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 12:36
by Smudgeboy

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 36 queries.