new plot where do i start?

• 5 Replies

purplewellies

new plot where do i start?
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:28 »
hello there, I have recently got a brand new allotment, it previously was grazing pasture.
It has been ploughed and i think furrowed (i don't know what this is). I would love some advice on what to do to get it ready for planting.

1) There are lots of tuffs of grass on or near the surface. Am i best to pull all these out and compost them?

2) The soil is in quite big clods can I just rake the surface or do i need to fork it all over?

3) I have seen people on the tv treading down the soil so there isn't big air spaces do I need to do the same?

4) I was planning on seperating the allotment into beds with paths around them

What is the best and cheapest thing to make the paths? Bark? grass? polythene?

5) I have got a good amount of well rotted horse manure is it best to just put it in the holes i make to plant or distribute it all over or do both?

Any advice will be much appreciated, I'm itching to get started i just don't know what to do first.

thankyou

Trebor

• Experienced Member
Re: new plot where do i start?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:43 »
My View:

1)Pull out what you can – you may have to focus on part of the plot first as the weeds will come back now the ground has been turned and they see their opportunity for freedom (i.e. Light).

2) You will probably need to work with the fork to break up the big clods then rake the surface over afterwards – some crops are more fussy than others, so the amount of effort varies.

3) Forking will get rid of most air spaces. Only Brassicas need firm soil, while for other crops walking on the soil will just make it compact and that is not such a good idea!

4) Controversial I guess, but for me the best is weed suppressant covering with bark chips over it, the cheapest is grass. All have advantages and disadvantages such as ‘chips’ stick to your boots, while grass is a haven for slugs and weeds to spread from. (Actually, cheapest is probably trodden earth!)

5) Don’t put it anywhere near your roots (carrots particularly), beans could be a bit of a waste as they add nitrogen anyway, but would help for moisture, elsewhere depends on the crop and how well rotted it is – not rotted enough and it will take nitrogen out of the soil and can also cause rot in some veg.

Could add more on this but looking like war and peace already and sure others will add!

Bombers

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:56 »
Couldn't have said much better than that Trebor...
Welcome Purplewellies..
I think i would just spread that well rotted horse muck evenly around your growing area.(apart from Roots of course) It'll act as a mulch to suppress some weeds, and as we're going to be having a long hot summer (according to the Met office) ::) It'll help hold some moisture in too. Just be mindful of the Herbicide Aminopyralid issue. (You may want to test beforehand)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

purplewellies

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 13:02 »
thankyou both for your advice it  is much appreciated. :)

Bombers

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 13:04 »
thankyou both for your advice it  is much appreciated. :)
Yw . If you need any help, ask away. You know where we are! Good luck. :)

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 14:31 »
…forgot to add, a ‘furrow’ is just the mark left in the ground from the plough i.e. a channel in the turned soil. (Hence where the expression having a ‘furrowed’/ wrinkled brow comes from).

xx
New plot...where to start?

Started by lisajpickering on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 18:31
by Christine
xx
Huge plot - where to start

Started by Cleo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 22:19
by noshed
xx
newbie ques best way to start the plot

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 15, 2008, 18:31
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Wanting to start sowing on the plot but lack of water.

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 09:35
by lucywil

Page created in 0.792 seconds with 36 queries.