Recommend me a garden fork

• 19 Replies

teflon

• Experienced Member
Recommend me a garden fork
« on: April 30, 2009, 21:40 »
After breaking three "budget"garden forks in the past month,i'm thinking of buying a half decent one now.I've seen a Spear&Jackson stainless steel(wooden shaft) fork for £15 in Tesco with a 10 or 15 year warranty(i cant remember exactly).Has anyone had any experience of these&can offer any advice?
  Thanks.
  Tel.

ben

Re: Recommend me a garden fork
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 22:00 »
The only forks I have not broken are Spear & Jackson ! Quality kit.

Broke a 15 year guarantee Wilkinson Sword fork in a month. Doh!

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 22:23 »
Maybe time for a rethink about how the tool works. It must be hard effort for you if you get to the point of breaking the tool. Stainless is probably a poor choice as its structure gives a brittle material, whereas carbon steel is tougher. However, http://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/canterbury-fork-head-only-p4 is a tool that lets gravity do the work. It is used worldwide in various forms by people who HAVE to grow their food, or they starve. Look at the bottom of this page http://www.chillington.co.uk/africa.html for the variations available. Though unless you order thousands, you can't get them in the UK.

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 22:40 »
By the sounds of it, I have the same fork.  I absolutely swear by it.  We have two forks, my hubby has the "cheap" one and I have the S&J.  I've used both, and the S&J is best.  Because of its stainless tines, it glides through the soil with relative ease unlike the cheaper one.  Also, funnily enough, I am only 5ft, and its just the right size for me.
Babs

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 22:44 »
i go with spear and jackson too!

I bought a homebase own brand fork and the flint-stones in our garden broke it within a couple of months.
my mum gave me a spear and jackson she's had for years and it's a little tiny bit bent, but not broken yet - that was 6 years ago.
and all i do is dig (with the fork cos the spade won't go through/past the stones....)

savbo

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 23:06 »
tools you can trust...  :)

peterjf

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 23:17 »
i bought a wilkos stainless fork and spade 6 yrs ago , very strong , great tools ,

wait till autumn and they come down to £7-99 each , it dont get better then that , me thinks

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 04:11 »
I broke 2  fork's then went and got a joesph bently 25 yr warrenty one it was not cheap but wirth every penny its well balanced and just the right height.
Thanks
Kris

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 07:50 »
Those Chillington Tools look very cheap, have you had anything from there Oldbean?

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 08:17 »
I use my Grandad's garden fork, it's at least 60 years old & is really comfortable to use, perhaps they "don't make 'em like they used to" ? Might be worth looking out for old tools at a car boot sale

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 08:27 »
I have both stainless steel and carbon steel forks and spades.

I bought the stainless ones because we have heavy clay, and it sticks less.

But mostly I get on faster with the lighter, better balanced, carbon steel ones - and use a flat wallpaper stripper tool to scrape the clay off.  I have to stop for a stretch every so often anyway!

If you don't have clay I'm not sure there is any benefit in a stainless steel Spade / Fork

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 09:33 »

...and use a flat wallpaper stripper tool to scrape the clay off.  I have to stop for a stretch every so often anyway!

This is an excellent tip, and one I learned whilst underpinning. Wallpaper scrapers are invaluable for cleaning clay from any digging tool.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 11:47 »
Those Chillington Tools look very cheap, have you had anything from there Oldbean?

Fork, trenching hoe, baby hoe, ridging hoe, and the little weeder thingy. The fork is good for tearing grass weeds off the top before dealing with breaking up the soil if it needs doing. You can do it from an upright position instead of having to bend over and lift. I had the trenching hoe for years with a home made handle before I found out they did more tools.

The metal is forged steel. The tools are simple and effective. If you have access to woodland you don't need to buy the handles, as it's possible to cut the right sixe sapling and the job's done.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 12:08 »
Yeoman stainless steel digging fork ~£20 is my choice. It has a rubberised handle so is comfortable to work with and I haven’t managed any damage despite working ground with hard frost and flint in it!

(It was also what they were using on Gardeners World when I bought it).

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 12:15 »
Should also add that the handle is bent upwards slightly rather than being flat and again this makes it more comfortable to use. It got me some comments of approval from the old experienced fellows on the site.

xx
Fork to fork with monty don

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 23:39
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
Spade or Fork?

Started by brucesgirl on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 10:44
by TRACKS
xx
Rotovate or use fork

Started by marion on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 21:31
by penlee
xx
Spade or fork to lift parsnips?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 22:00
by Yana

Page created in 1.08 seconds with 37 queries.