Strawberries B&Q and compost at Lidls FYI

• 9 Replies

sclarke624

« on: March 29, 2007, 19:26 »
Also got some Strawberries at B&Q Elsanta 6 for £4.98, thats 83p per pot which was cheaper than Wyevale which was £1.49 a pot.  Only wanted a few so not worth buying online as they seem to sell in large numbers.  

Went to Lidls (Bognor Regis) which is nearby to see if they had those Strawberries mentioned think it was £2.00 for six, but no sign of them.  Hate our Lidls anyway as they trap you in there you can't get out unless you barge past peeps in queue or try to get someone to open chain across closed tills, so I usually have to buy something to escape.

But Lidls did have some compost 40 ltres at £1.99 and some bark don't know size for 1.99 (not certain on bark).
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

crowndale

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 21:02 »
I bought strawbs at B&Q last year but they weren't very good.  Poor production and dubious quality.  Some were great and others were downright nasty (bitter).  I never got more than 4 or 5 at a time either.  bit disappointint.  Am hoping for better results from a new raised bed this year (live on a clay pit I think!) and some new plants.

I noticed that they are selling a lot of vege plants already but I was under the impression that plants like broccoli and sprouts need to go in around may not the end of march?  Anyway, holding out for then as the seedlings are way off being ready for outdoors yet!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 22:07 »
Yeah I noticed the veg plants too.  I'll let you know how the strawberries did at the end of the season.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 20:51 »
looked in my local lidls for the strawberries today - didn't see them- then found their leaflet with offers on and it said 6 strawberry plants for £4/5 starting 5th April..... so shall head back there then!

Ann

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 23:16 »
I bought strawberries in B & Q last year and they were lovely only problem was the slugs and woodlice kept getting to them before I had chance to pick them.  Also had lots of new plants from them.

charliesmum

Strawberries from Aldi
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 07:49 »
Ibought 6 strawberry plants from Aldi last week and I think they cost £2.99.   They look really strong, so I might go back to see if they have any more.

Lily

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 08:33 »
I bought some strawberries in B&Q last year and they were quite nice. Not a lot of them especially since the kids got to them even faster than the slugs! :tongue2:
I bought some seeds this year but they did not germinate. So I will buy some plants!
Do not underestimate the therapeutic values of weeding!
1 dog, 2 children, 3 good reasons not to spread poison!

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 11:18 »
Can't remember where I bought mine last year , but they didn't crop fantastically, although I didn't buy them until July, so pro had something to do with it.  Loadsa runner though which I potted up over winter and they all survived :D   so will hopefully have a better crop this year.
Have also  tried some seeds, but haven't germinated yet, but I'll keep watering them and hoping :)
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 21:53 »
You have to remember when you buy strawberries, you're really buying them for the next year. First year is usually never impressive. Second year is when production gets really good. If you're lucky, third year will be as well. Then their productivity goes down again and you need to replace. So I take runners from 1st year plants and keep them to grow on. Then the first ones will go through their 2nd year glut... then those babies I took of them the year before will produce their 2nd year glut the next year, and so on and so forth. Try not to take more than 1 runner from a plant and cut off any extras so it keeps the energy in the roots of the main plant to produce those strawberries, not in producing loads of baby plants.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Braveheart

Re: Strawberries B&Q and compost at Lidls FYI
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 23:00 »
I bought some Lidl compost this year and it was full of twigs and wood chips. Any plug plants pplace in it failed . Water retention very poor as well..

xx
Lidls' big garden sale this week

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 19:21
by Yorkie
xx
Lidls, Fruit trees and bushes

Started by soaplady on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 21:24
by clarebear
xx
Strawberries and used compost advice please

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 09:57
by Rangerkris
xx
strawberries and raspberries in compost

Started by Allan-25J on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 13, 2019, 20:44
by Allan-25J

Page created in 0.521 seconds with 36 queries.